CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician (HIT-001)

revboxrevbox Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have about fifteen years in IT. My notable certs are listed under my name here on the forum.

Anyway, I had a voucher for this that I haven't used and with the exam being retired in Feb. I figured I'd go ahead and get my "lifetime" cert (also, it still counts for CEUs!).

My "prep" was reading a PDF of the CompTIA Healthcare IT Technician HIT-001 Authorized Cert Guide by Joy Dark and Jean Andrews. I scheduled the test with a Pearson Vue testing center based at a college. I got there about two hours early and read through the 427 page book, skipping over the IT chapters and focusing just on the medical stuff.

I want to say my exam was about 75 questions. All were multiple choice. The material was the most basic fundamental knowledge covered on the A+/N+/S+ (and when I say basic I do mean basic) + healthcare acronyms in which you need to know regulations along with organizations and their purpose.

Anyway, I can understand why it never really caught on. Glad I didn't spend personal funds. 723 with YOLO prep.

Comments

• mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to hear. Decided (for much the same reasons) to take a crack at it as it covers a lot of things I already know. Unfortunately the last date available at my testing center before Feb 28 was...Dec 5th (Monday!). So, I'm cramming with a CBT Nuggets video course. I'm going through the healthcare sections at 1.3x speed and copying down acronyms occasionally, and then I'll finish up the IT sections as 2.0x speed.

I passed my A+ and N+ earlier this year (and I work in healthcare IT) so I'm hoping for a relatively easy pass.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One reason I want to get this is that Healthcare IT is booming and most likely will continue, not that its the greatest but I bet it would have "Pull" over 2 identical candidates applying for a job.
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took it this morning, passed with a 723. Technical side is definitely pretty entry-level, other than CompTIA's penchant for ambiguous "what is the BEST..." wording. Some questions cover security policies, if you're fairly familiar with HIPAA these are pretty easy. The questions about various organizations and medical acronyms are just memorization.

I used this CBTNuggets course to prepare. I skipped the IT Operations sections.

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/comptia-healthcare-it-technician

Not a career-changer, but a nice little easy to attain certification that doesn't require renewal.

HealthcareIT.jpg
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Usul0Usul0 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed yesterday, used Dark's book and Macpro76 flash cards. Like mgeoffriau mentioned, the hardest part was the 'what's the best or most appropriate ' questions.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wonder why CompTIA is retiring this. I can't see IT Health demand lowering or going away.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • toeknee1973toeknee1973 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just took test and passed with a 735.... I too have been working in the medical field for about 15yrs or so. So decided to get the"lifetime cer" before it expires at the end of this month. IMHO,I don't think it's the end for this certification, I just think it won't be a lifetime cert anymore. . I currently already had the A+ and N+, and being familiar it the medical/clinical side of IT helped even more. I did use the CBT Nuggets videos but actually liked the Authorized Cert Guide by Joy Dark / Jean Andrews. Thanks
    (In Progress)
    B.A. IT - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance - WGU
    HCISPP
  • toeknee1973toeknee1973 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, the book was very helpful on the clinical/medical side and the technical. I got an app from the AppStore which had some practice questions. Hope that helps.
    (In Progress)
    B.A. IT - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance - WGU
    HCISPP