To CEH or not to CEH

9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been working my current security job for about 6 months, and it's my first job that's labeled strictly as a security role. I have several years of IT experience, and some of it has been security related, but none of my previous jobs were labeled strictly as security jobs. So I'm left unsure as to whether or not I'll pass the eligibility requirement for taking the exam, and I haven't wanted to waste $100 to hear no.

The caveat is that I spoke with my CEO in December and I told him I'd be ready to take the exam in January. A former coworker, who had his CEH, assured me I'd pass the eligibility screen, but I'm just not sure if I believe it. My CEO has not brought up the exam in conversation since I mentioned it, and neither have I. He did say that he'd pay the exam fee up front, though, when I was ready to take it.

I'm just not sure if this is something I should pursue, or just let it drop. I know for certain I wouldn't spend $700 of my own money on this exam, and I'm not too thrilled about the idea of my company spending that money on the off-chance I fail the test. Another buddy of mine in IT keeps encouraging me to talk to the CEO about it and pursue it, but I don't know which is worse...just never bringing it up again, or taking the chance on trying to qualify for and take the exam and then possibility losing my company $800.

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Perhaps getting the Boson exam-sim and see how you do there first? It's $100 regular price, but it will give you an idea of what you should know for the real exam. I took CEHv8 for my Master's studies at WGU, and I found Boson to be much harder than the real exam. Then you can decide if you want the company to invest the time and effort getting you there.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Perhaps getting the Boson exam-sim and see how you do there first? It's $100 regular price, but it will give you an idea of what you should know for the real exam. I took CEHv8 for my Master's studies at WGU, and I found Boson to be much harder than the real exam. Then you can decide if you want the company to invest the time and effort getting you there.

Thanks for the reply. I already have the Boson exams for CEH and a number of other study materials.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I told my CEO I was going to be doing something, I would get on it! I'd guess they most likely forgot you mentioned it but if you reminded them and told them you were ready for it. It would probably refresh their memory and looks really good your following through on your word and shows the CEO your trying improve. Take the risk! icon_thumright.gif
    ^^ This.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    9bits wrote: »
    Another buddy of mine in IT keeps encouraging me to talk to the CEO about it and pursue it, but I don't know which is worse...just never bringing it up again, or taking the chance on trying to qualify for and take the exam and then possibility losing my company $800.
    If your company usually has a training budget, then they are willing to spend money on your continued improvement as their employee. The fact that they are willing to help you improve means they are reasonably satisfied with your performance in your job. There might be an expectation that you stick around in your job for a few months after you collect your benefits.
    I thought the CEH was interesting & informative, but it probably won't give you skills you can apply directly to your job. I did see a relevance to network security/network defense, which is what most people who get it seem to be involved with.
    It is sought after in certain sectors (such as DoD) however, and would make you more competitive for those jobs, if that's something you are thinking about.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's a training budget? My company won't reimburse for certs and actively discourages getting any, and they wouldn't reimburse a $75 professional association. Needless to say, I'm actively looking for a company that values their IT staff and wants them to grow in their career and knowledge base.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if you have to buy the application fee and exam voucher yourself, or can some authorized representative of your company purchase it for you?
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Anxious to see @Cyberguypr response lol.
    meh
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wow. Not caring is one thing, but "actively discourages" is a whole different ball game. Sad.

See, I went easy icon_smile.gif