Options

Passed CISSP 23FEB2017

tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed today, first try.

September to October -

CBT nuggets Security+ SY0-401 CBT with Keith Barker - Watched these while I did treadmill, elliptical, or rowing machine for 45 minutes a day mon-fri.

Sybex Security+ SY0-401 study guide 6th edition - After watching the CBTs I read the book cover to cover 1 time.

Took the SY0-401 test in October with an 867

December to February -

Pearson LiveLessons CISSP CBT with Sari Greene - Watched these while I did treadmill, elliptical, or rowing machine for 45 minutes a day mon-fri. Once I finished the videos I started reading.

Sybex ISC2 CISSP Official study guide 7th edition - Read this cover to cover, then did the practice tests online after each chapter. When I finished the book I did two of the online 250 question bonus tests.

Syngress CISSP Study Guide 3rd edition - After the Sybex guide I read this book cover to cover. After each chapter I took a domain test from the Sybex Official Practice tests book. When I finished the book I took 1 of the 250 question tests from the Sybex Official Practice tests book and did one of the Syngress 250 online question tests.

I then skimmed/read the Sybex official study guide again, concentrating on areas where I scored low on the practice tests, and took the remaining two 250 question tests from the official study guide.

Then I skimmed/read Syngress book again, again concentrating on areas where I scored low after the first round of reading, and took the final Sybex official practices test 250 question test and the final Syngress 250 question test.

I purchased a one month subscription to CCCure practice tests to do Monday-Wednesday, before my test on Thursday 23 Feb, while reading 11th hour. CCCure is the worst study material I have ever come across. I stopped at 600 questions because I couldn't take it anymore. When reading a question I should be able to say I know the answer to the question before looking at the available options or that I don't know the answer and then do the elimination process to find the most correct answer.

Out of the 600 questions I took for CCCure there were about 150-175 questions where I didn't understand the question. I had no clue to what was actually being asked until looked through the answers and compared them to subject, verb, and adjectives in the question. Then I had to verify that the answer cleared up the question. The questions are obtuse, abstract, with redundant synonymous words sprinkled about. I could only assume that this clement guy uses english as a 2nd language. I gave up after 600 questions and abandoned the remaining 1200 questions. I was getting consistent 75-100 (averaged about 87) on the CCCure while doing 20 blocks of questions at a time. After the first 100 I stopped reviewing the detailed explanations. Some people might learn from CCCure but for me it was was pure pain and not worth the effort.

Compared to the real test, the question format with wording and quality is consistent with the Sybex Practice questions. Then followed closely with the syngress web site.

CBT nuggets Security+ SY0-401 CBT with Keith Barker
Sybex Security+ SY0-401 study guide 6th edition

Pearson LiveLessons CISSP CBT with Sari Greene
Sybex ISC2 CISSP Official study guide 7th edition
Sybex ISC2 CISSP Offical Practice Tests

Syngress CISSP Study Guide 3rd edition
Syngress CISSP 11th Hour 3rd Edition
Syngress CISSP practice Tests

If I had to do it again I would skip the 11th hour and CCCure.

Comments

• Options
    uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent job. Great habits, excellent routine and dedication. Thanks for this write-up and Congratulations!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    RaranskyRaransky Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    I agree to your choice of study material, Sybex is the closest match.
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    AmimuAmimu Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation , mate. Thank you for the encouraging words. Am planning to sit for my exams end of March. Hey quite tough man.
  • Options
    AmimuAmimu Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks mate. After your exams I am sure there are some text that you feel it was a waste of your time. As advice to personally, Currently I have access to Sybex and Shaun Harris, What other texts and information should I have access to to be able to pass the exam.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kelly Handerhan video series on cybrary.it. She does a great job at translating the information into a more understandable format.
  • Options
    malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also planing on end of march.. happy reading
  • Options
    Congratz tunerX...

can you also share your marks when you do the sybex practice tests on each domain.. if possible bdw..
    :):)
  • Options
    malindak wrote: »
    Congratz tunerX...

can you also share your marks when you do the sybex practice tests on each domain.. if possible bdw..
    :):)

Domain 1 - 90/100
    Domain 2 - 87/100
    Domain 3 - 93/100
    Domain 4 - 92/100
    Domain 5 - 84/100
    Domain 6 - 75/100
    Domain 7 - 87/100
    Domain 8 - 91/100
  • Options
    Amimu wrote: »
    Thanks mate. After your exams I am sure there are some text that you feel it was a waste of your time. As advice to personally, Currently I have access to Sybex and Shaun Harris, What other texts and information should I have access to to be able to pass the exam.

I didn't read the Shon Harris book. I read the Sybex and Syngress books.
  • Options
    tunerX wrote: »
    Domain 1 - 90/100
    Domain 2 - 87/100
    Domain 3 - 93/100
    Domain 4 - 92/100
    Domain 5 - 84/100
    Domain 6 - 75/100
    Domain 7 - 87/100
    Domain 8 - 91/100

wow quite impressive..

i went through once and my scores are between 65 - 82.. seems i need a second round too
  • Options
    I was getting about 76-77% on all of my practice tests, including Sybex, and I passed on the first attempt. Security Testing was my weakest area. I was getting about mid 60's there. My scores were pretty even across the domains. My worst was 65% and my best was 83% in Security and Risk Management. Those were in SkillSoft. In Sybex I got 80% on the pre-assessment test the last time I took it. Most of my practice tests were done in SkillSoft though.
  • Options
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I was getting about 76-77% on all of my practice tests, including Sybex, and I passed on the first attempt. Security Testing was my weakest area. I was getting about mid 60's there. My scores were pretty even across the domains. My worst was 65% and my best was 83% in Security and Risk Management. Those were in SkillSoft. In Sybex I got 80% on the pre-assessment test the last time I took it. Most of my practice tests were done in SkillSoft though.

Thank you for your feedback.
  • Options
    tunerX wrote: »
    Domain 1 - 90/100
    Domain 2 - 87/100
    Domain 3 - 93/100
    Domain 4 - 92/100
    Domain 5 - 84/100
    Domain 6 - 75/100
    Domain 7 - 87/100
    Domain 8 - 91/100

Thank you
  • Options
    I have done my sybex first practice test today and scored 70%... feels so disappointed because i do not have much time to go through the material again. looking for your suggestions on next movement.
  • Options
    malindak wrote: »
    I have done my sybex first practice test today and scored 70%... feels so disappointed because i do not have much time to go through the material again. looking for your suggestions on next movement.

Study the subjects where you incorrectly answered the questions. Then move on to the next test.

I had finished all of the Sybex and Eric Conrad practice tests with about two weeks left before my exam.
  • Options
    i think i was getting about 75% on the sybex tests so you aren't too far off IMO. try watching the cybrary videos
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Looks like you studied hard an it paid off well done. I'm averaging 70% on the transcender exams. I'm currently still revising going through the Sybex book and writing flashcards. Hoping to get my score better on transcender and then I will take the Sybex as a kind of mock exam and hope I'm scoring in the 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insights.. it really encourage me