I need a feedback about this server

Hello, gents.

I wanted to ask you some help for evaluating this server. I was looking for some refurbished hardware that I could purchase from Amazon for testing Hyper-V and other hypervisors.

I was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/HP-ProLiant-2xQuad-Core-2-53GHz-Processor/dp/B00NWNHKPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487873158&sr=8-3&keywords=refurbished+server

I am wondering if 16GB is too limited and I should ask the vendor to expand it to 32GB.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm running Windows 10 on my home workstation with the Hyper-V role installed and it only maxed out at 16GB. I'm fairly happy as I can run 5 or 6 VMs each with 2GB of RAM at the same time easy which is more than enough for the 70-410 and 70-411 labs I've built. Can you get by with 16 GB? Sure. The question is whether the additional 16GB will break the bank. If it wont, go for it.
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with AvgITGeek.
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with AvgITGeek as well. I used a Windows 10 laptop with a 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM and it ran fine for my labs for the exams. I did modify some of the lab setups by leaving out extra servers like file servers and just installing additional roles on my DCs or whatever but it worked fine. I could run 3-4 servers and a Windows 7 client VM with no problems whatsoever. As AvgITGeek said though, if you can afford the extra 16GB then more is always better!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • drakerdraker Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My desktop has a 512ssd, 24gb ram, and dual hexcores.

I think it's a Precision 3400? It was cheap on ebay and works great for labs. And servers are loud!
    Break time..!
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To both AndersonSmith and draker: I'm wishing I can throw a SSD into my workstation so I could offload my VMs onto it. My HDD is my biggest bottleneck at the moment.