Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    houdini5150houdini5150 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Started WGU in May of 2016. Completed one Semester. Have a few more to go. Hasnt been too bad really. My mentor has been great. I am not realling digging this Javascript class, cant wait to pass it and move on.
  • Options
    reddishBreddishB Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Started WGU in May of 2016. Completed one Semester. Have a few more to go. Hasnt been too bad really. My mentor has been great. I am not realling digging this Javascript class, cant wait to pass it and move on.

I have a question about obtaining the certifications(comptia A+,security + etc) through the B.S ITM in WGU. Do we still have to take the exams for each cert? Or do they just give it to us once we complete the B.S in information Tech-Networking?Thnx
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to pass the certification exam to earn credit for the applicable course.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    reddishB wrote: »
    I have a question about obtaining the certifications(comptia A+,security + etc) through the B.S ITM in WGU. Do we still have to take the exams for each cert? Or do they just give it to us once we complete the B.S in information Tech-Networking?Thnx

Self study and pass the exams. You will be able to skip taking the associated course and shorten your school duration.
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LaSeeno wrote: »
    Self study and pass the exams. You will be able to skip taking the associated course and shorten your school duration.

This will mean paying out of pocket for the exam costs, however...
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to get a scholarshis from WGU or any other source?thnx
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I received a scholarship from an external source when I did my bachelors degree.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mgeoffriau wrote: »
    This will mean paying out of pocket for the exam costs, however...

You pay for it one way or another. Whether out of pocket or by course.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I applied for one and got accepted, there are not many for IT and only covered 15% but every little bit helps. The one I applied for was the back to school scholarship since I am attending graduate school after a long gap from my undergrad.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LaSeeno wrote: »
    You pay for it one way or another. Whether out of pocket or by course.

Well, no. WGU charges tuition per 6-month session, not per course. So the only advantage to paying for it out of pocket would be if you thought that you could shorten your WGU degree such that you avoid the cost of an additional 6-month session.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I applied for a ton of scholarships but unfortunately I didn't get any. On the positive side my employer pays for most of my degree so at least I am getting some financial assistance in one way or another. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    mzx380 wrote: »
    I applied for one and got accepted, there are not many for IT and only covered 15% but every little bit helps. The one I applied for was the back to school scholarship since I am attending graduate school after a long gap from my undergrad.

Would u be able to provide me the link?I'm also back to school after a long time.Thnx
  • Options
    drfagerdrfager Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seriously considering the BSIT-Security path.

Already have the CCNA Security, Network+, Security+ (Expired)

Im considering the approach of getting the certs first before enrolling, which leaves the obvious gaps of A+, Linux+, Project+, and im not sure how my expired Security+ would be handled, or if my CCNA Security would count towards classes for the CCNA. (I went the CCENT then Security exam route, rather than CCNA R&S to Security)

I also have a first-world cert problem, in that ive been accepted into the Cisco Global Security program for the CCNA Cyber Ops cert starting in March, and im not sure if that cert will do anything useful for WGU.

I'm going to try to cram in the first exam for the Linux+ before that training starts in March, then try to wheel around and get the second exam of the Linux+ right after it ends in May.

Do the pre-assessments potentially knock out any other IT related classes? (That arent cert based) Just wondering if experience in the field would eliminate any other classes.

Hopefully they dont change the program while im mid cert process, a lot of these certs id only be getting for use at that school, not professionally. I suppose its the risk you take.
  • Options
    Would u be able to provide me the link?I'm also back to school after a long time.Thnx

You would need to apply for it in your MY WGU account, if I remember correctly the steps were something like
    • Click on the "Student Support" tab at the top

• Select "Financial Services"
    • Select "Financial Requirements"

Hope that helps

• Options
    What is the best way to study WGU classes when I'm not at home in front of my computer?

A Smart phone or a laptop that I can carry around would help me with that?

Thx
  • Options
    What is the best way to study WGU classes when I'm not at home in front of my computer?

A Smart phone or a laptop that I can carry around would help me with that?

Thx

Most of the time I study in front of a desktop but if I NEED to study, I use a tablet with wifi but that's when I'm not in front of a computer. Only when I can't do that do I study using my smartphone by viewing my class notes
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do you have to take a Cert or have transferable credits to get in to WGU? This is the dilemma that I'm facing and wondering should I just snag up a cert and get going with the program.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll need a cert, work experience, recent relatable course credits, or an associate's degree. The work experience is kind of up to their interpretation, so having one of the others will make it easier to be accepted.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll need a cert, work experience, recent relatable course credits, or an associate's degree. The work experience is kind of up to their interpretation, so having one of the others will make it easier to be accepted.

I have the work experience, but they're still asking for me to obtain a cert.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    Well depending on your experience, several of the CompTIA certs can be relatively easy to get. A+ is fairly easy, but I actually found a lot of the questions to be a little ambiguous and I didn't pass as comfortably as I thought I would. Security+ is really easy, I only studied that for about a week.
  • Options
    Dr. FluxxDr. Fluxx Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They count certs as college credit?
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr. Fluxx wrote: »
    They count certs as college credit?

I am not sure what "they" are but if the successful completion of a course is passing the certification exam then that is counted. That is the beauty of the competence model, getting the certification shows competence.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Hey guys I'm on my last month of my first term. Have you guys think about internship for this upcoming summer (2017)? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I officially resumed my MSCSIA degree program on the 1st. My mentor thinks it's feasible to complete all my remaining courses this term. My plan is to:

Complete C706 and C700 in March.
    Complete C688 and FXT2 in April.
    Use the remaining 4 months to complete my capstone (LQT2).

I'm starting with Secure Software Design (C706). I have experience with this, and it piques my interest. I should have no trouble completing this one within the first couple of weeks.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello TE family,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while, gained a lot of valuable information and insight, thank you all.

a. Do you have any advice and tips for someone who has IT experience, training and certs but starting college as a freshman? (and who is married with a child)

b. From your experience, will the competency-based model allow me to complete my bachelor's degree quickly?

c. I am leaning towards the BS:IT - Security degree, but I have seen the new BS:CIA that just came out. What do you guys think are the pros and cons between these programs?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Hello TE family,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while, gained a lot of valuable information and insight, thank you all.

a. Do you have any advice and tips for someone who has IT experience, training and certs but starting college as a freshman? (and who is married with a child)

b. From your experience, will the competency-based model allow me to complete my bachelor's degree quickly?

c. I am leaning towards the BS:IT - Security degree, but I have seen the new BS:CIA that just came out. What do you guys think are the pros and cons between these programs?

Shimasensei
    A) If you are a veteran in IT then the material will come easy. The hard thing would be that you will have to create/adjust your studying style if you have not been a student in a while. Finding time to study if you are employed and are a parent can also be tough (I can relate on each of these, but that's where night studying comes in)

B) Yes, the competency-based model allows you to complete your education quickly. However, just how quick will be up to the level of effort you can put in.

C) I completed my BS in a brick and mortar school so I cannot say as to the quality of either program. I will tell you that you should not be the guinea pig for new programs and stick with the existing ones since there are loads of people with experience in that degree track that can guide you.

Good luck
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    a. Ensure your family knows that you need a few hours a day for study time.

b. If you have enough time, yes you can complete it quickly. Very dependent on time and talent.

c. If you take the BS:IT - Sec you will have several classes waived (transfer credit due to CCNA:RS/Sec and A+/Security+). Not knowing what else you have, I can't comment on how much will transfer in. The BS:CIA has some "better" certs, especially if you have the time and experience to qualify. For instance, SSCP and CCSP would be nice to have but if you don't have the necessary experience with the required domains you will be an Associate and the ISC2 Code of Ethics states that you are not allowed to tell anyone which test you took.

Just my thoughts.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I was going to post here regardless, but I'll direct some of this to shimasensei as well.

I just finished my BS - IT Security degree with WGU!!! I transferred in 55 credits, including my CCNA: R&S. My first day was 9/1/2016, and I submitted my capstone paper 2 days ago. So about 7.5 months to complete 69 credits. Of that 7.5 months, I spent about 1.5 on CCNA: Security, and almost 2 months total on Linux+ (very inexperienced, needed about a month per test). I also had to retake my A+ and sec+ since they're too old to transfer, but those took me less than a week each to study and pass. So transferring any of those harder certs will take huge chunks from your time needed to graduate.

The model for me was great, I was disciplined, I studied most nights after the kids went to sleep, and several hours on the weekend while the wife got the kids out of the house. It was a hard 7 months, but it was totally worth it to be done quickly.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @mzx380 & stryder144: thank you for the great advice! I am now more motivated to start my studies this year.

@albinorhino187: congratulations! Your example is inspiring for a prospective student like me. Just curious, did you transfer credits from a traditional college and how many semesters worth of classes did you transfer? To finish in 7.5 months, how many classes did you have to take per term?

Another question, do higher level certs get more credit than associate level certs? E.g., I have my CCNA:RS and CCNP:RS. Will credits be given for both? Will the CCNP get more credits than the CCNA? Another example is CISSP vs. Sec+. I have my Sec+ but I'm planning to obtain my CISSP before starting at WGU (target date is Q3 this year).
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    I had an A.S. from ECPI which is a for-profit school. I was able to carry over 55 credits from there, mostly the general education stuff, and that included my CCNA R&S. I had to retake any IT-related course or certification not waived by the CCNA since my degree and other certs were older than 5 years, and that's the cutoff for IT credits.

I did 51 CUs in the first 6 month term. I think that was around 13 classes. I finished the last 5 classes, which was 18 CUs, between 3/1 and 4/15 when I submitted my capstone.

As for what transfers, you should just start the process and see where you stand. The CCNP won't waive any more than the CCNA. I don't know about the CISSP. I did the IT security track, but if you did the new cybersecurity you might have different results than me.