McGrawHill Questions for CISSP 8 Domains

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I have been studying CISSP since October:

Sybex 7th Edition cover to cover
CBT Nuggets in the car everday
Kelly handerhan Cybrary Videos
I have taken some notes and created flashcards on Cybrary.

All end of chapter tests on I scored over 70% on the Synbex books. I have just started taking the Mcgrawhill practice exams and I'm not scoring very well at all. Not sure if this is because the Mcgrawhill are for the 10 domain CISSP?

Comments

• uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Initially, I was getting in my difficult area around 68% but I in second try I was much better. Focus more on concepts then you will be fine with exam.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My MH scores were slightly lower too. I was averaging about 77% on all tests but only about 70% on MH. Not sure why that is but I passed on my first attempt.
  • cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Initially, I was getting in my difficult area around 68% but I in second try I was much better. Focus more on concepts then you will be fine with exam.

Thanks that is reassuring to hear. Are you using any other practice exams. When are you taking exam?
    dhay13 wrote: »
    My MH scores were slightly lower too. I was averaging about 77% on all tests but only about 70% on MH. Not sure why that is but I passed on my first attempt.

Thats good to hear. Congrats on getting the CISSP. When did you pass? was it on the 10 domain or 8 domain. My scores on MH have been just under 70% and then there was a really low score on security architecture MH 1 test, but mh 2 are scored higher. I will have to spend some more time in architecture.
    These were the scores I got on MH. I took the test in November 2016, 8 domain. Most of my practice tests were done in SkillSoft. My MH testing was only done here and there. Never went through from beginning to end in one setting and the test scores listed here vary from when I first strted studying up until a few weeks before I took my test:

access control 1 75.79%
    access control Q2 68.97%
    business continuity planning P1 84.48%
    business continuity planning Q2 64.41%
    cryptography Q1 75.28%
    cryptography Q2 72.73%
    enterprise security & architecture Q1 45.24%
    enterprise security & architecture Q2 56.14%
    Legal, Regulations, Investigations, and Compliance Q1 77.17%
    Legal, Regulations, Investigations, and Compliance Q2 74.12%
    physical & environmental security Q1 84.38%
    physical & environmental security Q2 67.68%
    Information Security Governance & Risk Mgmt Q1 60.76%
    Information Security Governance & Risk Mgmt Q2 74.51%
    Security Operations Q1 81.09%
    Security Operations Q2 78.57%
    Software Development Security Q1 79.82%
    Software Development Security Q2 54.90%
    Telecommunications and Network Security Q1 61.70%
    Telecommunications and Network Security Q2 71.70%

EDIT: formatting got jacked from copy/paste....lol

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just for your knowledge, there isn't much difference in the 10 domain vs 8 domain material...the domains are just condensed, which impacts ultimately where the questions are pulled from.
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    Thanks that is reassuring to hear. Are you using any other practice exams. When are you taking exam?

I gave exam on 27th Feb and passed in first attempt. I used Sybex Official practice test and transcender, both were the best.
    dhay13 wrote: »
    These were the scores I got on MH. I took the test in November 2016, 8 domain. Most of my practice tests were done in SkillSoft. My MH testing was only done here and there. Never went through from beginning to end in one setting and the test scores listed here vary from when I first strted studying up until a few weeks before I took my test:

access control 1 75.79%
    access control Q2 68.97%
    business continuity planning P1 84.48%
    business continuity planning Q2 64.41%
    cryptography Q1 75.28%
    cryptography Q2 72.73%
    enterprise security & architecture Q1 45.24%
    enterprise security & architecture Q2 56.14%
    Legal, Regulations, Investigations, and Compliance Q1 77.17%
    Legal, Regulations, Investigations, and Compliance Q2 74.12%
    physical & environmental security Q1 84.38%
    physical & environmental security Q2 67.68%
    Information Security Governance & Risk Mgmt Q1 60.76%
    Information Security Governance & Risk Mgmt Q2 74.51%
    Security Operations Q1 81.09%
    Security Operations Q2 78.57%
    Software Development Security Q1 79.82%
    Software Development Security Q2 54.90%
    Telecommunications and Network Security Q1 61.70%
    Telecommunications and Network Security Q2 71.70%

EDIT: formatting got jacked from copy/paste....lol

My scores are slightly lower than yours. We these the very first tests your did? For me these are the first tests I have not touched any others yet. Did you use any other tests? My plan was to score a near a 100% on the Mcraw and then use the Sybex exams and possibly transce
    nder.
    I gave exam on 27th Feb and passed in first attempt. I used Sybex Official practice test and transcender, both were the best.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be using the Sybex and possibly transcedner. How many times did you do these practice exams? Where you scoring high when taking them for the first time, or did you need a few goes at them?
    My scores are slightly lower than yours. We these the very first tests your did? For me these are the first tests I have not touched any others yet. Did you use any other tests? My plan was to score a near a 100% on the Mcraw and then use the Sybex exams and possibly transce
    nder.
    I only went through the MH tests once and some twice. Some of these were when I first started studying and some were near the end. Not sure which scores were which though. My main source of practice tests was Skillsoft and I also did the tests in the Sybex book. I went through the Skillsoft tests probably 4 or 5 times, all 250 questions each time. I have access to it through work for free so not sure how much it costs to subscribe. In MH I did domain 5 test 1, domain 6 test 1, domain 7 test 1, domain 9 test 1 and domain 10 test 1 all towards the end a few weeks before my test. The ones that were early were D2 test 2, D3 test 2, and D4 test 2. I may have only went through test 2 once and got back though test 2 a second time, can't remember now.
    Thanks for the feedback. I will be using the Sybex and possibly transcedner. How many times did you do these practice exams? Where you scoring high when taking them for the first time, or did you need a few goes at them?

I did transcender and Official practice test 4 times. Initially, I was getting 68% in my weak areas and 75% in my strong areas. During my last shots, I was getting 93%+.
  • malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did transcender and Official practice test 4 times. Initially, I was getting 68% in my weak areas and 75% in my strong areas. During my last shots, I was getting 93%+.

I was doing the Official Practice tests and MH. however, there are some confusing explanations when its come to BCP and DRP question.

Any suggestions on this?
    malindak wrote: »
    I was doing the Official Practice tests and MH. however, there are some confusing explanations when its come to BCP and DRP question.

Any suggestions on this?

What explanations did you find confusing? Was it from the MH test, or official. Also is the official practice test from ISC2?
    it is on MH specially on BCP and DRP.

on some questions it asks about DRP steps and some on BCP with very similar set of answers.

But on Official ISC2 test provide more emphasis on BCP with their steps and not much about DRP tests if am not mistaken. this where the confusion i had.

Further to above MH issues questions relating to Combi and Hybrid smart card and this was not discuss even in Cybex official guide. correct me if i am wrong
    it is on MH specially on BCP and DRP.

on some questions it asks about DRP steps and some on BCP with very similar set of answers.

But on Official ISC2 test provide more emphasis on BCP with their steps and not much about DRP tests if am not mistaken. this where the confusion i had.

Further to above MH issues questions relating to Combi and Hybrid smart card and this was not discuss even in Cybex official guide. correct me if i am wrong

Smartcards were covered in the Sybex material. Pg619 there was a reference to smartcard attacks I.E side channel attacks. A side channel attack is a passive attack and when successful an attacker can learn the valuable information such as the encryption key. Smart cards have a microprocessor but do no not have internal power. When a user inserts the card into the reader it get a small charge from the reader which powers it. Smart cards are also Type 2 authentication (something you have)

Not sure about the MH question if you provide a bit more detail I can have a look.

Would you recommend the ISC2 questions as I have been thinking about getting the Transcedner questions?
    Smartcards were covered in the Sybex material. Pg619 there was a reference to smartcard attacks I.E side channel attacks. A side channel attack is a passive attack and when successful an attacker can learn the valuable information such as the encryption key. Smart cards have a microprocessor but do no not have internal power. When a user inserts the card into the reader it get a small charge from the reader which powers it. Smart cards are also Type 2 authentication (something you have)

Not sure about the MH question if you provide a bit more detail I can have a look.

Would you recommend the ISC2 questions as I have been thinking about getting the Transcedner questions?

Agree with your point relating to smart card. however, the book doesn't talk about Combi Card or Hybrid cards.

Yes i do recommend ISC2 Official practices questions purely becoz of quality and the coverage of domains.
    Agree with your point relating to smart card. however, the book doesn't talk about Combi Card or Hybrid cards.

Yes i do recommend ISC2 Official practices questions purely becoz of quality and the coverage of domains.

Where did you purchase the ISC2 practice exams? I have been on the ISC2 site and they direct you to Amazon which is a book not a software test engine? Also do you know if they are a different test bank to the Sybex exams that come with the book? On the ISC2 site you have the choice of purchasing from amazon, or wiley. wiley is the publisher of the Sybex book.
    I purchased through Amazon and they will provide the book and the link to online test bank which is the same question set. Book and the online test bank will cost you somewhere around 40 - 50 $