Options

Puppet Certification?

Was wondering if it would be worth doing? We currently use RH Sat 6.10 in our work environment which uses Puppet.

Red Hat is pushing Ansible...so I'm not sure which one is going to have the highest demand?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I see both. Often I will see a list something like:

Experience with devops/automation including any of the following tools: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, vagrant, docker, github

What's exactly in the list varies, but puppet, chef and ansible are the most common.

If you are looking at Red Hat only, then ansible is in your future for sure.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently preparing for RH exam, my plan is to take the exam this month. From my point of view, it's worth doing it. For you because you work with Satellite, it's worth even more.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I've been to Ansible training with Red Hat for one day. I've been reviewing Puppet documentation and know that both use the same type of file format (.yaml) so I'm sure there is knowledge that would transfer from one to another.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock

I think you're making a confusion. Most of the configuration done in Puppet is writen in .pp files which are called puppet manifests. Yaml is used by hiera but from what our initiator said they are using Satellite as ENC so I dont know how much use yaml will have for him.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Puppet and Chef are most definitely the most in demand since they've been around for about 10 years now in terms of technologies for configuration management, automated deployments, and orchestration. Ansible is gaining momentum, but regardless of which one you use, having any of them under your belt is beneficial. Having played with all 3 of them, I can tell you that Ansible is by far the easiest to learm and quickest to get completely operational. My personal preference is not having agents and being able to do everything over SSH; it makes it super easy to create "service accounts" with keys and then automate tasks. I personally think you should do a "bake-off" and test both, see which one you like more and then continue working with that one.