SNAT and DNAT

Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

So I am a little bit confused as some study material define SNAT and DNAT as Source/Destination NAT while other study material define SNAT and DNAT as Static/Dynamic NAT.

Which one is correct ?

Comments

• hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello,

So I am a little bit confused as some study material define SNAT and DNAT as Source/Destination NAT while other study material define SNAT and DNAT as Static/Dynamic NAT.

Which one is correct ?

Source NAT is changing the source IP. When you do a static NAT, dynamic NAT, or PAT you are probably only doing a source NAT. As in, you and translating the internal private IP address to one of the organization's public IP addresses.

Destination NAT is when you change the destination IP address. I think a good example would be if you had a VPN with another company, and tried to hit their public IP address. They may do a destination NAT at that point to send the traffic to the internal server, which has a private IP address. The return traffic from the server back to you would have a source NAT done by the other organization before returning to you.

Does that help?

Edit: You can also do a source AND destination NAT at the same time, but I wouldn't worry about that. Just realize that all 4 things you asked about are different.
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alright, concepts seem pretty clear now. Thx

It was the acronym which was confusing cuz different study material was referring to it differently.
    For example, Mike Meyers refers to SNAT as Static NAT while Professor Messer refers to SNAT as Source NAT.
    So I was wondering if I get a question like "What does SNAT stand for?" which is correct Static NAT or Source NAT?
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright, concepts seem pretty clear now. Thx

It was the acronym which was confusing cuz different study material was referring to it differently.
    For example, Mike Meyers refers to SNAT as Static NAT while Professor Messer refers to SNAT as Source NAT.
    So I was wondering if I get a question like "What does SNAT stand for?" which is correct Static NAT or Source NAT?

No problem. I do not think you'll encounter a problem with clarity on the test. I always refer to SNAT when talking about source NAT to be honest.
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to know, cheers!