Your pro tips that make your life easier as a Network Engineer.

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
These tips don't have to be crazy technical, things along the lines of:
  • Environment setup
    • Do you find a particular OS has features that enable your job?
    • Preferred terminal configuration (Fonts/Colors/Font-size)
    • Monitor arrangement (Single, Dual, Multiple)
  • Documentation aids
    • Keeping a notepad close by?
    • Using a tablet/Surface with a stylus for drawing over documents?
    • Keeping a task list (Paper/Digital)
  • Methodology
    • Working on things like patience
    • Importance of slowing down (even under pressure)

I'll add more as they come to mind, but what things have been AHA moments for your during your career that you'd like to share?

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Putty has a setting to always keep it on top. You can also turn off the prompt where it asks you if you really want to quit. "Use system colors" checkbox usually turns the terminal white instead of black.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    • Environment setup
      • Do you find a particular OS has features that enable your job? windows,ubuntu, kali
      • Preferred terminal configuration (Fonts/Colors/Font-size) green
      • Monitor arrangement (Single, Dual, Multiple) dual
    • Documentation aids
      • Keeping a notepad close by? notepad ++
      • Using a tablet/Surface with a stylus for drawing over documents? paper,whiteboard, visio
      • Keeping a task list (Paper/Digital) both
    • Methodology
      • Working on things like patience - telling myself, its just a job. the network is not yours, dont take it personallly.
      • Importance of slowing down (even under pressure) - very, take a break when you are not going anywhere while troubleshooting. you will get that AHA once you are relaxed
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been looking at i3wm for Linux. It seems to be the dream for Network Engineers working in multiple terminals. But then as far as doing anything else though, it may not be the best.

I've also recently started using EpicPen but would like to move to something with a built in Stylus like a Surface to quickly markup my work.
  • Dave88LXDave88LX Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds so simple but I prefer a paper method of tracking my to-do list. Sure, I can't sort/rearrange/etc. it but it's always there and handy. I am always thinking of things throughout the day that I need to get done, and used to forget a lot. Notepad is always there, no matter what I'm doing on the computer. I just jot things down under that day, and cross them off as I get things done. We all love crossing things off a to-do list!
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These tips don't have to be crazy technical, things along the lines of:
    • Environment setup
      • Do you find a particular OS has features that enable your job? Windows 10 or Kali
      • Preferred terminal configuration (Fonts/Colors/Font-size) I use mRemoteNG, you can have RDP, SSH, VNC sessions all in one window/program
      • Monitor arrangement (Single, Dual, Multiple) Dual
    • Documentation aids
      • Keeping a notepad close by? I either use Windows' Sticky Notes or open up OneNote or Keep.
      • Using a tablet/Surface with a stylus for drawing over documents?
      • Keeping a task list (Paper/Digital) Sticky Notes
    • Methodology
      • Working on things like patience
      • Importance of slowing down (even under pressure)
    I'll add more as they come to mind, but what things have been AHA moments for your during your career that you'd like to share?
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    • Environment setup
      • Do you find a particular OS has features that enable your job? - No.
      • Preferred terminal configuration (Fonts/Colors/Font-size) - Black with white text
      • Monitor arrangement (Single, Dual, Multiple) - 2 horizontal, 1 verticle
    • Documentation aids
      • Keeping a notepad close by? - Sticky notes for days
      • Using a tablet/Surface with a stylus for drawing over documents? - Pen and paper, whiteboard
      • Keeping a task list (Paper/Digital) - Paper
    • Methodology
      • Working on things like patience - No patience
      • Importance of slowing down (even under pressure) - Rushing leads to mistakes

I'm young, but old school.

I have a golden rule handed down to me by my boss.

Always copy run start, then do the RELOAD IN [#] command when doing risky work on remote devices. Make sure to cancel the reload when done.

Always double check in interface you are shutting down too!
  • KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Environment setup
    At least two monitors. And usually one or two laptops setup on whatever network I'm troubleshooting and/or off network dsl for testing firewall rules
    Multiple VM's for various versions of OS's, Kali, Ubuntu, Windows 7, 8, 10. Multiple windows 7 with various versions of java for opening legacy GUI's that don't like new versions of java.

Documentation aids
    evernote, and notepad++. Trying to be better about doing notes electronically so I can copy paste into tickets/emails etc..

Methodology
    If you're not sure about the root cause of an issue, work the layers. OSI/TCP. Many times I've taken longer then necessary to fix an issue because I thought I knew what the issue was and focused on that. Once I went back and started at physical layer and worked up, I got to the root cause much quicker.
  • Rob911Rob911 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My rule...
    Occasional mistakes will be tolerated since we're all human. If you make a mistake, cause an outage AND neglect to follow the "Write Mem/Reload in" protocol you will be in the receiving end of a corrective action plan.
    • Always copy run start, then do the RELOAD IN [#] command when doing risky work on remote devices. Make sure to cancel the reload when done.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Before starting any project, figure out what success looks like. Ensure you're on the same page with management.