Options

Seems Easy Enough

shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
One of the colleges I teach at is offering instructor vouchers for every Comptia exam that exist. I have the A+ (20 years ago), Net+ (18 years ago) and Security+ (10 years ago) and found them relatively easy to obtain. I though the Cloud+ would be a great place to start with these free certs. I purchased a textbook from Sybex and found it almost too simplistic. I thumbed through the book and it seemed to be just the Net+and Security+ with some virtualization and storage thrown in. I'm thinking of just taking it next week and brushing up on a few areas.

Anyone take this and feel that I'm being way too simplistic with my approach?
B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
Cloud+ - In Progress
Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU

Comments

• Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too have several CompTIA certs, and had many of them prior to attempting Cloud+. While I wouldn't call any of the CompTIA certs "easy" since that can be relative to current experience and knowledge, I have found that once you have a few CompTIA certs, certainly many of the topics and subjects from other exams are covered in other exams. Obviously, that is expected.

I would expect some professionals to only take an exam that is specific to their job function, so CompTIA prepares the material for each exam so that the exam can stand on it's own, without the test taker necessarily needing to have other CompTIA certs to get through the exam. For example, a co-worker of mine and myself took RFID+ years ago (retired exam now), and while I wanted only a foundational knowledge of the technology, RFID was one of his primary responsibilities. He had little formal educations and no other certs, so he found the RFID+ exam pretty difficult, whereas I found a decent percentage of the material, like networking concepts, had been covered in other CompTIA exams and other certs, so I did not have to spend as much time in study to prep because I could pass over large sections of material and focus on the RFID specific concepts.

All this to say that if you've already earned several CompTIA certs you're not far off the mark of being ready for Cloud+, I'd say, because there is some material that will be reviewed in the exam. However, there will be a lot of cloud specific content, so don't be lax.
  • Options
    shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks and I agree with you there about not taking the exam too lightly. I can certainly see someone without the requisite experience professionally or with Comptia exams having issues.
    B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
    M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
    Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
    Cloud+ - In Progress
    Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you end up taking the Cloud+ exam Shauncarter1? if so, how did you do...what did you use to study with? Thoughts/Comments?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP