Offered $60.000 + bonus + benefits for Help Desk position

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
It's more than I ever made as a systems/network administrator but I had to turn it down. It looks like I would be taking 3 steps back career wise if i accepted it. It's not all about money, I have about 6 yrs experience. I started in desktop support, then field engineer, systems administrator, network administrator. HELP DESK IS A BIG NO NO 4 ME.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Holy Shat! What kind of helpdesk job pays that much?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that is the question.. was it a technical help desk where you would be supporting other technical users or the other kind drunken_smilie.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Sometimes it's all about what moves your career forward...as long as you're still able to pay the rent. So, Olajuwon, what in your estimation would be the next logical step of your career ladder?
  • james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If they're offering that much for helpdesk, is there any potential to move up? Would love to know what they pay for for a networking position...
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    keenon wrote:
    that is the question.. was it a technical help desk where you would be supporting other technical users or the other kind drunken_smilie.gif

Financial sector. It's with a bank. icon_eek.gif
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
    That's average pay for most financial centers (banks, Wall Street investment companies, etc.) in NYC. But, the work is demanding (stock brokers always want things done now!) and political. I would have taken the position if I needed the money...then again...who doesn't? But, sometimes moving back on the career ladder (just for the money) isn't worth it.
  • deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Good Move - stick with what you love!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • DeJayDeJay Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DirtySouth wrote:
    Holy Shat! What kind of helpdesk job pays that much?
    One located in NYC?
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    Financial institutions can be hectic.. before I morphed into IT I had some experience in a bank.. they would have driven you crazy.
    porengo wrote:
    Sometimes it's all about what moves your career forward...as long as you're still able to pay the rent. So, Olajuwon, what in your estimation would be the next logical step of your career ladder?

I don't have a job currently. I am living on my savings. A logical step in my career would be to remain in network/systems administration.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I think you made theright decission not taking a step back and iolud have done the same thing

my friend works at a palce and could potentially get me in when a positino opens up but even though it is better mnoey I don't want to go back to desktop support. I prefer the Challenge of being an admin for a small company and doing the support all the the same time
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I think you made the correct decision...it's not all about the question. I'm in Indiana, and I left my 60K Help Desk job to take a position as a Systmes Administrator for more than 10K less. It's all about the work and the experience I will be getting.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    it's a nice pay though :)
    Olajuwon wrote:
    porengo wrote:

I don't have a job currently. I am living on my savings. A logical step in my career would be to remain in network/systems administration.

In that case, you may want to take the job and continue your job search. If you don't take the job you may want to consider doing volunteer work (during your job search) as a network/systems admin for a non-profit to keep your skills sharp and experience current.

By the way, alot of IT jobs are found through networking. Volunteering at non-profit organizations increase your ability to network through exposing you to a sector of business that thrives on networking.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'd have say I applaud your decision to stick with your goals, and not to take a step back....but I'd take that money in a heartbeat....would there have been any chance of moving up with the company after a while.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I'd have say I applaud your decision to stick with your goals, and not to take a step back....but I'd take that money in a heartbeat....would there have been any chance of moving up with the company after a while.....

^^^Good question. If there is room for opportunity, you might be able to get in at 60K doing Help desk, but once they notice your skill level, they may fast track you up for even more...I've definitely seen that done! My cousin was MCSE, Cisco, etc., and he took a Help Desk job in order to move up. After a few months, he began moving up...40K became 60K...60K became 85K, in just a matter of months. He always tell me that it will be hard for me to get hired right on at a high skill level position without grunting it out at the Help Desk level first for a company. If you know your stuff, you should move up to the level that you should be at. It isn't impossible, but I think a lot of companies like the phrase "promote within," although that promote within might be an employee who has only been there a few months, LOL.

Famos
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    porengo wrote:
    That's average pay for most financial centers (banks, Wall Street investment companies, etc.) in NYC. But, the work is demanding (stock brokers always want things done now!) and political. I would have taken the position if I needed the money...then again...who doesn't? But, sometimes moving back on the career ladder (just for the money) isn't worth it.

$60K is a great wage, but jobs that seem easy that yield such high pay is a pretty good indiator that they pay that set due to the level of stress and/or high turnover the position probably has..so they pay you well to keep you around.

I would have passed as I learned long ago that it's more important to me to be satisfied with what I do compared to the money I earn.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read that as $60.00 an hour at first. My head almost exploded
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Olajuwon wrote:

Currently your in the unemployed field. A logical step would be to take the job. An unlogical step would be to leave a network/system administration job for this job but leaving unemployment is a step foward.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:

Currently your in the unemployed field. A logical step would be to take the job. An unlogical step would be to leave a network/system administration job for this job but leaving unemployment is a step foward.

i agree, if you have no job any is better than none.. i did helpdesk it was soooo hard .. i guess i don't have the patience crash.gif ( at this point there should be a hand slapping someone with some unkind words) icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • bangkokratbangkokrat Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    garv221 wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:

i agree, if you have no job any is better than none.. i did helpdesk it was soooo hard .. i guess i don't have the patience crash.gif ( at this point there should be a hand slapping someone with some unkind words) icon_lol.gif

@#4 you do not know how to add a signature in Outlook 2003." *slap...*
  • computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Been there, done that

I can definitely understand your frustrations. I know the feeling of dealing with end users who knows absolutely nothing about computers.

Anyway, if i were you, i would take that job and then search for another job while i am working. So that way i don't have to use any of my savings.

sometimes its good to move backward before you move forward.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    That's where you guys have it all wrong. I love people that can't make signatures... I walk in the door for 5 minutes. Fix it... Hand them a bill for $125 and leave.

Main reason I'll never work for a large corp. You'll never make even close to what you can as a consultant.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
    I missed the post about the unemployment and living off of your savings...I would have taken the job. I thought you were going to have to leave a job as a Systems Admin to go back to Help Desk. Help desk isn't too bad...it isn't for everyone, but it isn't bad. I love educating the user. I don't just fix an issue, but I educate the user on what happened, how it happened, and how it can be prevented (if the problem was the users fault or negligence). I'm glad that I will still be able to deal with end users in my new Systems Admin job still...I'll have monthly meetings with them regarding their I.T. needs, and also doing a little bit of Help desk work when escalated up to me :D . It has always beena joy to take care of the end users. Some users think you are the greatest thing on Earth just because you know how to map a network printer. They think you are even greater when you show them how to do it.

But anyway...if you are unemployed, you should have taken the job. When you get to the level of Systems/Network Administration, Help Desk should be a walk in the park and EASY money. Sometimes you will have to take a step back and look at some issues in a simple view since you are probably locked in Advanced Mode, but pretty much you should be an expert.

Famos
  • JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Heh, you must also factor in other reasons to take a job. First of all, will you enjoy the job? If you end up in a position where you don't really like what you are doing (which sounds like the case), I would skip it. If you are getting offered that much, you should find work in your specific area, it should be more than what you may expect.

Are they real hardasses at the bank? This guy at work told me that in NYC, for supporting executives, they give you 15 minutes to fix it or you're out. Is this really true?

Famosbrown: You have a point. Helpdesk is not for everyone... the man speaks the truth.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    famosbrown wrote:
    . I love educating the user. I don't just fix an issue, but I educate the user on what happened, how it happened, and how it can be prevented (if the problem was the users fault or negligence).
    I don't mind educating the user to prevent the same thing from happening... After the 4th or 5th time, I'd rather beat them with a keyboard.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
    I would be supporting traders and executives. I interviewed for the job and the people there were telling how I am going be stressed out and getting yelled at on the job. One interviewer even told me that traders expect you to fix their problem in an instant and they like being assholes because they have money.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Olajuwon wrote:
    I would be supporting traders and executives. I interviewed for the job and the people there were telling how I am going be stressed out and getting yelled at on the job. One interviewer even told me that traders expect you to fix their problem in an instant and they like being assholes because they have money.

That sounds a little out there and stereotyped.
    Trailerisf wrote:
    famosbrown wrote:
    . I love educating the user. I don't just fix an issue, but I educate the user on what happened, how it happened, and how it can be prevented (if the problem was the users fault or negligence).
    I don't mind educating the user to prevent the same thing from happening... After the 4th or 5th time, I'd rather beat them with a keyboard.

Yeah...the 4th or 5th time users sometimes deserve a cracking in the head with a keyboard to get it in their heads, LOL !!!
  • JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    Olajuwon wrote:
    In that case I would have no doubts about the 15 minute rule. They must go through many helpdesk guys before they find one that can either fix things quick or can take a lot of sh!t....

And its not "out there" or stereotyped, I've been in other jobs where they wouldn't let us install a webcam unless they have the one executive support guy in our group to do it. They are probably trading or managing millions of dollars all the time so I can see how they want things done pronto, but I don't want to be "stressed out" or any of that sh!t. Why would anyone want to be subjected to such mistreatment?
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.