Order of studying, your preference?

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
Super quick about how you study. When using both a book and videos do you prefer:
  • Video -> Book
  • Book -> Video
Personally I'm finding that if I read the material first I struggle to watch the videos as it's nearly everything I've seen before.

Thoughts?

Comments

• gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually watch the videos first to familiarize myself with the topic and then read the book to get a better and deeper knowledge.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    gkca wrote: »
    I usually watch the videos first to familiarize myself with the topic and then read the book to get a better and deeper knowledge.

exactly this. When you watch the video first, you get an idea and it opens up your mind on a new topic. Then when you read the chapter second, you are able to read it much easier and go through pages quicker instead of rereading the same paragraph. Take notes when reading, then Third, Watch a video again (better with a second source) and fill in your notes again.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think that order might be the winning combination. I'm doing it all backwards!
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1.) Video at high speed to get a quick run down of the topics.
    2.) Read once through while highlighting important facts / areas.
    3.) Video again slower while taking notes
    4.) Re-read while taking extensive notes over read material / highlighted areas.
    5.) LAB!
    6.) Then I usually use my notes / mostly video content (again) as continued review.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi