Have you ever failed a certification exam and decided not to take it again?

9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
Curious if anyone has ever failed an exam and then decided, for whatever reason, that they didn't want to try it again. Maybe you decided after-the-fact that it was a bad idea to take it in the first place, or maybe it would just cost too much money, or maybe you found a better avenue/cert to pursue.

I feel like the usual response for an exam failure to is to get upset with oneself and then become even more determined to pass it. But as admirable as that is, it's still usual. I'm interested in hearing about the unusual.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Finances would be the only reason for me to not attempt to complete a certification exam.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've always scheduled the retake. I hate throwing away money, but I also hate throwing away time. If I put a significant amount of effort into preparation then I feel like I have to complete it or else all that time spent studying was a waste.

I failed CISSP twice so that was $1,198 down the drain, but there was no way I was going to give up on that pursuit.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Server+, the MCSE 2008 upgrade, etc. I probably wouldn't have gone after my CISSP if I had failed it the first time tbh. It took me 90 days to get the results and I didn't have the motivation to study in those 90 days while waiting for an answer. If I hadn't passed that one time, I would have just continued on without it.

Other certs meant more to me. I think I could have failed the CCIE 10 times and would have still tried to become good enough to pass it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the life of me, I just couldn't pass a Microsoft exam. Tried Server 2003, 2008 and some Office 365 certs.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Failed CCNP - THOOT - 2x
    Failed CEH - Once
    Failed CCIE - 4x

I would do the CCIE again until i get it.
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only cert that tripped me up was the CCNA many years back. It took me three attempts to pass the composite exam (I'm a glutton for challenges). After the second go it became more of matter of principle...I wasn't going to let it beat me. Fast forward to today and all of my Cisco certs are now expired, so was it worth all the money and trouble? Yea. :)

I don't like leaving endeavors unfinished, so I don't think I could let an exam go.
  • Eightn9neEightn9ne Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did the Windows 7 one a few years back when I first got my proper full time IT job in help desk. Failed it twice actually. After the second one, I never really had the ambition or drive to redo it. Work knew I failed the first time but they didn't know I tried to do it again but failed.

I would've probably blamed my lack of commitment and lack of discipline had to do it with that (no labbing, just skim reading that blue W7 book).
    A couple of years later, I passed my first Microsoft exam (70-410 installing configuring server 2012).

I'm actually thinking of doing the Windows 7 cert now just to say 'I did it' heh
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I struggled with CCNP a bit but never once considered giving up.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    VCA-DCV for me. I was in between jobs and totally thought I could pass this with a day's worth of studying.

That was a quick way to waste $125. I dont work with VMware now so I giving up on it.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Many moon ago I failed some 2003 XP / server exams. I was one and done with this. No retakes, game over man game over.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Eightn9ne wrote: »
    I did the Windows 7 one a few years back when I first got my proper full time IT job in help desk. Failed it twice actually. After the second one, I never really had the ambition or drive to redo it. Work knew I failed the first time but they didn't know I tried to do it again but failed.

I would've probably blamed my lack of commitment and lack of discipline had to do it with that (no labbing, just skim reading that blue W7 book).
    A couple of years later, I passed my first Microsoft exam (70-410 installing configuring server 2012).

I'm actually thinking of doing the Windows 7 cert now just to say 'I did it' heh

I pretty much had the same experience with the 70-680; I lost interest after the 3rd fail.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PMP twice. I dont really want to take it again.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not answering this on the grounds that it may Jinx me.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had 3 fails with my SQL certification, but like others have mentioned some certs are just worth it. For me SQL is like the CCIE for me, it MEANS a lot. Not really the recognition which is about 0, but the internal success I feel from it.

But like I mentioned the OS certifications, YAWN....... Nice to haves and that is it.
  • newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    I failed PMP 3x and decided enough is enough. PRINCE2 is doing me fine.
  • swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed CCNP route and never went back to take it. My CCNA was expiring that week, and took CCNP route to try to renew it. Didn't pass, and wasn't enough time to take it again before the expiration (and no point in taking it once CCNA expired) so didn't go back and try again.
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    swamprat wrote: »
    I failed CCNP route and never went back to take it. My CCNA was expiring that week, and took CCNP route to try to renew it. Didn't pass, and wasn't enough time to take it again before the expiration (and no point in taking it once CCNA expired) so didn't go back and try again.

Wow, that's rough. Did you/are you going to retake CCNA
  • swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was years ago and I no longer work in networking, so haven't gone back and renewed my CCNA RS. Other certifications have become more relevant. I still remember the interior of that room and reading that score though, despite it happening years ago at a test center I've never been to before or since. :)
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed the Microsoft ISA Server 2004 exam twice - both times I was sick, but felt I had studied enough to pass. Barely failed both times. Third time around I was feeling much better and barely passed. So, FWIW, that exam was the absolute worst I have ever taken. If it wasn't in pursuit of the MCSE and what I was working with at the time, I'd have never taken it.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    eCPPT silver, I failed and didn't do the retake because I was going to Russia or starting school again. I can't remember.
    ICND2, I kept failing and it kept costing me money. I didn't get the CCNA because I wasn't using the information even though I had jobs that I could touch Cisco equipment. I even let the CCENT expire because I wasn't using the information.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I failed a Solar Winds exam (when they were offering one for free). I think that is the only one I've failed and never retaken.

I have more I've let expire and will not retake because they are no longer relevant to me (CCNA, and my Avaya certs when they expire in a few months..)
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I took the CCNA composite exam back in the 90s before Cisco released the ICND tests. I had passed the 6-month course, so I got a discount off the voucher. I didn't have a very good job or decent pay (I was still in college working in sales), so I didn't have a lot of extra money. Ended up taking the exam right before the voucher expired (one year later) and probably missed getting certified by a few points. Didn't actually get my CCNA until it was required as part of my Bachelor's Degree a few years ago. I guess that TECHNICALLY counts, because I never did take the composite exam...
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It's a no from me. I did two MS exams shortly before they expired, and didn't manage to pass: the 70-647 and an MS-SQL exam. I think I scored 600 something and 500 something, respectively. But since they've both been retired, I'll never get a chance now :'(

Also, I failed the 642, but I plan on retaking that... sometime. Thinking about it, I think it's only MS exams that I've failed. I guess I'm just not an MS kind of guy.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • SecChiSecChi Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I took the AlienVault Certification and failed. Ridiculously difficult exam that would provide at least 3 'almost' correct answers out of the 4 choices. I was scheduled to retake it but gave my voucher to a co-worker and never took it again because I switched jobs and no longer work with the appliance.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Took AWS Certified Solutions Architect after 3 days of study last year. Failed it with a 60%~

Retook it two weeks ago after 3 weeks of study and passed =]
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Failed 70-646 and 70-686. Didn't bother retaking them.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    M$ 70-411 for Windows Server 2012r2. Never will do it again, hate the books, hate the questions and I do hate the unneeded content (NAP, RODC...).
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• doubleodoubleo Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Failed 70-412 2 times with like 1-2 questions short even after taking classroom Microsoft Official Course and doing all the hands on labs and reading all materials. That failure made me realize the MOC materials just aren't enough to pass exams.
    Earned my MCSA by taking much easier 74-409 with close to 900 score!
    2018 goals: CCNA
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, seems like a lot of bad experiences with MS exams...
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    9bits wrote: »
    Wow, seems like a lot of bad experiences with MS exams...

Indeed, I failed an MS exam once before, I think it was the 70-685. Hopefully I won't need to do an MS exam again. I also failed the CCNA:Security once and I think that's all of my fails, for now anyways. I would give up on an exam because I failed.