Options

Suggestion for next cert for Sys Admin role

on the maton the mat Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have my A+, Net+, and MTA: Server Admin certs with a little over a years experience in Desktop Support. I am planning in about a year to make the jump to a more Sys Admin related role and I would like some suggestions for certs that would not make me look like a paper warrior, but could help me get to the next level. Unfortunately in my current role getting opportunities to get more hands on experience with the infrastructure side are pretty limited outside of using Windows Server on a superficial level. And my impression of Sys admin roles is that they cover a lot of ground so at this point something network or virtualization related would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Microsoft: MCSA > MCSE
    Linux: RHCSA > RHCE (other Linux Certs available too... LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Linux Foundation Certs, etc.)
    What interests and OS's do you want to work with?
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you were to lose your current job and had to start your job search what position would you want? Go look at 10-20 job descriptions that interest you, what are the top three most requested certs? Report back. icon_cool.gif
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL - Love the over zealous replies! How about offering one certification, like the OP asked! icon_lol.gif Not 20!
  • Options
    9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For network and virtualization related, go: CCNA -> VCP6-NX -> VCP6-DCV

No VMWare classes necessary if you go that route.
  • Options
    on the maton the mat Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LOL - Love the over zealous replies! How about offering one certification, like the OP asked! icon_lol.gif Not 20!

Haha well all of the suggestions are good, but my concern is having certifications with no real experience making them not worth a whole lot. I'm of the impression that something like an MCSA or CCNA may not be worth much without more actual hands on experience. That will be my eventual path, but I am not sure what to do in the meantime.

I am thinking I am going to stick with the realm of Windows and Cisco products.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well at least you are conscientious of not becoming a paper tiger. You and I would get along really well sharing the same mindset.

Maybe the right move now is not to make a move. I believe certifications hold you back in regards to learning, start to learn the products and the technologies and let the information flow while you become proficient in system administration.

If you are hell bent on certifications maybe Linux +, it could help you develop skills on that platform. In my area Nix system admins make at least 20k more per year maybe more.

Example 60 - 80 for Windows, 90 - 120 for Nix admins. (Just saying).