Shawn Moore. PDF: Configure The Network

rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
I'm trying to contact Shawn Moore. I've sent an email, using the address on here [http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.co.uk/], but no reply. Of course, it could be he's just choosing not to reply.

Was he associated with or a member of this site in the past?

It's just I have a question relating to a PDF document (Configure The Network: CCNA Lab Book) that Shawn produced. It has a link to this site at the bottom of every page, hence my assumption of his association.

Also, it suggests that the PDF can be downloaded from this site. Anyone have the link for that, as I can't find it?
No longer an active member

Comments

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might want to study material that wasn't written eight years ago.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    He used to be an active member years ago. As EANx stated though, this is pretty old material. I'd move on to something more recent.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    EANx wrote: »
    You might want to study material that wasn't written eight years ago.
    Have you got/seen/read the PDF?
    With all due respect to you both, below is just one of the tasks from the PDF.

I hope I'm not infringing any copyrights here.

With reference to two 2960-24TT Switches...
    A. Connect the two switches together physically using the fa0/8 port

B. Assign one switch the hostname MAISwitch1 and the other switch
    MAISwitch2

C. Create the enable password MAISecret on both devices

D. Configure the password MAIAccess for console access on both devices

E. Configure the password MAIAccess for up to 5 telnet connections on both
    devices

F. Encrypt all passwords on both switch devices

G. Configure MAISwitch1 with the VLAN1 IP address 192.168.1.10 /24

H. Configure MAISwitch2 with the VLAN1 IP address 192.168.1.11 /24

I. Both switch devices will need to be assigned the Default-Gateway IP address
    192.168.1.1 /24

J. Change the interfaces fa0/2-fa0/7 on both Cisco devices to be strictly access
    ports

K. Assign interfaces fa0/9-fa0/24 to the VLAN 999 on both switches

L. Administratively shutdown all unused interfaces fa0/9-fa0/24 on both Cisco
    switches

M. On MAISwitch1, change the maximum allowed MAC addresses on fa0/1 to 1
    using port-security.

N. Save all running configuration to the start-up configuration

This task complete when both switches have been configured with their correct
    hostnames, access passwords, IP address settings, security measures, and
    saved to the start-up configuration.

Tell me, do you not think that this is still relevant today?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Plenty things are still relevant I'm sure. Ethernet hasn't changed much. There are also probably plenty things that are left out. If you want to use it go right ahead, but you'd likely be much better off finding something built around the current objectives in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Plenty things are still relevant I'm sure. Ethernet hasn't changed much. There are also probably plenty things that are left out. If you want to use it go right ahead, but you'd likely be much better off finding something built around the current objectives in my opinion.

You're correct, it's not going to have up-to-date objectives given it's age, but as a resource for ideas for building labs and practicing CLI commands with CPT or the like, I find it of use and thought others may also find it of use.

I only bring it up, because I read posts asking about the topic of practice labs. It seems to me that this document is a ready made resource and I wanted to ask Shawn if I could use his material (with all credit to him) and also make the PDF available to others.

But, if the popular opinion is that the it's 'too old' (?), maybe I should just drop it.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rob42 wrote: »
    Have you got/seen/read the PDF?

If you go to his site, you see the date he made it available.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone, I'm still somewhat active but I do agree with everyone else. There's better options for CCNA lab scenarios today, I'll work on removing the link from my signature here shortly.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm still somewhat active but I do agree with everyone else. There's better options for CCNA lab scenarios today, I'll work on removing the link from my signature here shortly.

Ah, Mr. Moore! The very chap...

I'd like to start by thanking you for the PDF: it's really very good. I know it's a little dated now, but even so, I find it very useful for practice scenarios and have reconstructed some of them with CPT, so as to hone my CLI skills.

Do you plan on producing an updated version? Also, the text suggests that the one I have was part of a series?

Could you suggest where I (and indeed others) may be able to find "...better options for CCNA lab scenarios..."?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread.

Best regards to you.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello "rob42" unfortunately no plans from my end to create and release a new version. Created this during my young and single days haha, the family and Juniper equipment keeps me pretty busy.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore