Passed GCIH!

jg372jg372 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just passed the GCIH yesterday. I am a senior analyst but don't work hands on with any types of tools and don't do any pen testing whatsoever, so the course was a lot more difficult for me than others. I work more in audit/risk management. I do deal a lot with incidents so that was my biggest draw for this cert.

I scored a 64 and 70 on the practice tests, both fails. Needless to say, I was very nervous going in. I scored a 75 on the test, so barely a pass, but a pass is a pass! icon_cool.gif

Took the OnDemand course with John Strand. Thought he was a great instructor. I met him at a IANS conference once so was looking forward to taking his course. Read the books once (probably a mistake, should have read it twice). Was able to do the OnDemand slides once and did the audio MP3s probably twice altogether on my commutes to work. Index I thought was key and I even put tabs in the books.

Was surprised there wasn't any (maybe 1) Metasploit questions on the test. Practice tests were very comparable to the real exam. Overall, thought it was a great course in general.

Next up will be CISA as I don't believe my company will be paying for anymore GIAC certs icon_sad.gif

If you have any questions, let me know. Still on a bit of a high from the pass yesterday!!

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and good luck on the CISA icon_cheers.gif
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! It was a great course I enjoyed. Good luck on the CISA!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jg372 wrote: »
    Next up will be CISA as I don't believe my company will be paying for anymore GIAC certs icon_sad.gif

Congratulations on the pass. Do you mean your company not paying for any more GIAC Certs? Or SANS training? Were I work, they are limiting SANS training to one every two years now.
    Index I thought was key and I even put tabs in the books.

I did the same, anything to minimize the lookup time searching for answers. How much time did you have remaining? I think I was down to my last 10 minutes. Did you feel more pressure taking the exam no knowing how well you were doing now that they removed your current score every 15 questions?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • jg372jg372 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass. Do you mean your company not paying for any more GIAC Certs? Or SANS training? Were I work, they are limiting SANS training to one every two years now.

No more SANS training unfortunately. When we were able to purchase SANS training, the voucher the company had allowed for a test attempt as well. No longer the case. They will pay for all my ISACA training / test though, so that's why I'll be going after the CISA later this year.

TechGromit wrote: »
    I did the same, anything to minimize the lookup time searching for answers. How much time did you have remaining? I think I was down to my last 10 minutes. Did you feel more pressure taking the exam no knowing how well you were doing now that they removed your current score every 15 questions?

Took about 3 hours and 56 minutes! On each of the practice exams, I only took 3 hours. Obviously wanted to try and confirm each of the answers on the real test, even the ones I thought I was sure of so it took more time.

And yeah, great point. This was my first GIAC test not knowing my score after every 15 questions. At some points throughout the test, I thought I was doing great. Other parts, I felt like I guessed a few in a row so I thought I was bombing it. I think I like knowing my grade every 15 questions. How about you?
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • grouchy_Smurfgrouchy_Smurf Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed the GCIH yesterday. I am a senior analyst but don't work hands on with any types of tools and don't do any pen testing whatsoever, so the course was a lot more difficult for me than others. I work more in audit/risk management. I do deal a lot with incidents so that was my biggest draw for this cert.

I scored a 64 and 70 on the practice tests, both fails. Needless to say, I was very nervous going in. I scored a 75 on the test, so barely a pass, but a pass is a pass! icon_cool.gif

Took the OnDemand course with John Strand. Thought he was a great instructor. I met him at a IANS conference once so was looking forward to taking his course. Read the books once (probably a mistake, should have read it twice). Was able to do the OnDemand slides once and did the audio MP3s probably twice altogether on my commutes to work. Index I thought was key and I even put tabs in the books.

Was surprised there wasn't any (maybe 1) Metasploit questions on the test. Practice tests were very comparable to the real exam. Overall, thought it was a great course in general.

If you have any questions, let me know. Still on a bit of a high from the pass yesterday!!

Down to the last 30 days before I need to test. I am in the same boat as you IA/RMF stuff with little hands on so any other feedback you might have other then the index would be helpful- not my first GIAC so I know how much you need the index.

Thanks for your post!
  • jbebjbeb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I thought I read that they do provide your score after every 15 questions on the GCIH exam. They don't do that anymore?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • jg372jg372 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jbeb wrote: »
    Hey, I thought I read that they do provide your score after every 15 questions on the GCIH exam. They don't do that anymore?

Nope not anymore