Linux Foundation Pi Day sale

RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
If you haven't checked out the promotion for Pi Day certification training, check it out here.

Comments

• OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I bought the OpenStack, since it was very cheap and I have the other two courses.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I bought the OpenStack, since it was very cheap and I have the other two courses.

How do you like the other two?
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Remedymp wrote: »
    How do you like the other two?
    +1
    How does it compare to LinuxAcademy if you've ever used that?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I've not had a good look at the other courses yet. I intend to start again with Linux in the next month or so. I'm currently preparing for my VCP6 recert, so as soon as that's done. I will probably do LFCS and LFCE back to back. What I have seen is good enough to make me feel comfortable in purchasing the OpenStack course, if that makes a difference.

I can't make a comparison with Linux Academy, but I can say that the LFCS/LFCE courses do have a big hands on component, since the exam itself is practical in nature. They have precooked VMs to download for the exercises, and there's about 2 lab exercises for each of the 42 chapters. It's not really a video course, so something more like reading a textbook. That could be a turn off for some people. It is pretty close to the exam, but skips over some of the basics as assumed knowledge

Possibly, Linux Academy is a good complementary source.

The other consideration is that these deals from LF include the exam fee, which is normally $300.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Octal, please keep us updated once you begin your OpenStack studies and how effective the labs are for pursuing the COA.
    Thanks for the insight OctalDump. 5 more days to pull the trigger before this deal ends. Although I'd love to have the knowledge gain that would come with studying for the LFCS, I personally find studying Linux kind of like reading a phone book or a dictionary. Entertaining for a few minutes, as I pick up a new fact or two, but then dry and tedious. But then I manged to get through a project management cert so how bad could it be. It's all those little holes here and there in my Linux knowledge that would get filled in taking the time to go through this that beckon me I guess.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight OctalDump. 5 more days to pull the trigger before this deal ends. Although I'd love to have the knowledge gain that would come with studying for the LFCS, I personally find studying Linux kind of like reading a phone book or a dictionary. Entertaining for a few minutes, as I pick up a new fact or two, but then dry and tedious. But then I manged to get through a project management cert so how bad could it be. It's all those little holes here and there in my Linux knowledge that would get filled in taking the time to go through this that beckon me I guess.

I think everyone who is starting out with Linux feels the same way. Once you realize how powerful it is, then it becomes fun. I started thinking of how I implemented network services in Windows and tried to see if I could do it in Linux:

setup and configure an NTP server, a DNS server, a DHCP server, and a KDC.

Once you start working with Linux you will understand why a majority of electronics in the world use it as an OS and how many critical Internet services are built on top of it.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »

Did you pull the trigger?
    I did. Think I might begin in 2 weeks. Went with the LFS201 Essentials of Linux Administration. And getting a third Raspberry Pi on the way that I have absolutely no idea what to do with.Thanks for posting this sale. I would have missed it.