Alternative to SANS training for GIAC certification

SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hi,

I would like to do some GIAC certification, specially GSEC, GPEN and perhaps other. SANS training is awfully expensive, perhaps in 2018 or 2019, my employer would be able to pay me one training week.

Is there any good cheaper alternative for self study ?

Comments

• p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haven't taken SANS courses, I hear they have top-notch training and the exams cover everything in the course. For that reason, it's probably the best route. As an alternative I'd suggest:

1) SANS Work-Study for any SANS Course
    2) eLearnSecurity PTPv4 Course (in lieu of GPEN)
    3) HackingDojo (monthly subscription) for training for GPEN level course.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For GSEC, there is an AIO book, so it is best thing for now.

I will apply for work-study program for others.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    For GSEC, do Security+ then CISSP

GPEN, do eLearnSecurity eCPPT AND/OR Offensive Security OSCP

you will learn much more anyway
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another validation for eLearnSecurity. I tell my coworkers you do SANS for the ROI and eLearnSecurity if you want the knowledge with great hands on and videos at a fraction of the price. However, I do see on job postings that eLearnSecurity is gaining popularity so I am hoping this changes!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    I will do my CISSP soon... I read the GSEC exam outline and I think I can do it. For the GPEN, I'll will do OSCP or elearnsecurity.. I am new to this kind of security certs and I would not like to invest time and money on certs that don't bring recognition. Knowledge is something, but ROI is another.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember that recognition doesn't mean knowledge all the time. Not to point at you but there is a balance. For ROI I would do the outsline you have and then OSCP.
    I will do my CISSP soon... I read the GSEC exam outline and I think I can do it. For the GPEN, I'll will do OSCP or elearnsecurity.. I am new to this kind of security certs and I would not like to invest time and money on certs that don't bring recognition. Knowledge is something, but ROI is another.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Thanks you!

So.. SSCP (done), CISSP (soon) and OSCP :) nice path :)

OSCP or elearnsecurity? I think OSCP has better brand recognition?
  • Dr. FluxxDr. Fluxx Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The CEH is widely recognized...but its perception is not always highly regarded.
    Id say the OSCP is not as recognized but id choose it over the CEH any day of the week.
  • gwood113gwood113 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For GSEC the AIO book is very old an based on its Amazon reviews at the time I decided not to read it. I would offer that the Network Security Bible by Dr. Eric Cole (The guy who wrote the GSEC course) is a pretty good resource for your preparation.