Took Network+ exam today

squidjrsquidjr Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
I went into the exam feeling like i had this. I was doing good on practice exams. but when I got done doing the agonizing survey at the end, only to find out i failed with a 685. I was pretty disheartened when I left, but I do have the free retake voucher from CompTIA, so will be doing some more reading and practice tests and retrying next month when I'm working day shift and my brain is more awake.

Squid

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry to hear, but don't beat yourself up too much. I haven't taken the current Network+, but I did teach the current objectives at the last school where I taught. I have to say that the topics covered are very intense and broad compared to what it used to be. I've even read posts on here about people that have passed the CCNA, but failed Network+ afterwards... go figure.

My advice is to go through these forums and see what materials other people have used that worked for them. I've heard great feedback about Professor Messer's videos, which are free. It is awesome that you have a free retake. Just keep at it, and you will get it!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • squidjrsquidjr Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did watch the Messer videos and read the net+ study guide from Lammle. I downloaded an app i seen someone on here talking about today so I will give that a shot and do some more exams on examcompass, and will look for more to look at.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't beat yourself up. Try it again, now you know what it's like which is very different from most of the practice tests. Transcender's practice exams were the closest to the actual test that I could find. I thought the test was extremely hard too, definitely harder than Professer Messer's tests. Not saying those didn't help, but I gauged my readiness off my Transcender scores. Good luck!
    Ya I think I am going to order Transcender's practice exams and flash cards. I was so close to passing, i should be able to get pass it next month
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that mate.. I feel prepared with Network+ also but reading about people failing the exam makes me feel a bit uncomfortable now. I also done Messer tests, examcompass, mike meyers, darril gibson and other random online tests and i hit a high mark on all of them. I am looking to take it in two weeks time but now am considering to buy the retake as well :/
  • R3rdR3rd Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    after 2 tries im changing my study plan and reading more as well as watching Prof. Messer vids on the objectives i didnt answer correctly on both tries. 3rd time coming up soon for me.
    thanks thoth, You should be prepared by the sounds of it. but i also thought i was. Not sure how many questions everyone else is getting on the net+ exam but i got 86 questions out of a possible 90. seems like a lot to do in 90 minutes, doesnt give much time to really think about each question and was rushed. oh well, maybe my next one will have fewer questions.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Going to share with you a couple test-taking tips that have worked well for ME... ymmv.

*Most of the time (not going to look up the statistics), when you think of an answer and you're not guessing, you are usually correct. People that change their answers normally change from correct to incorrect.
    *If you can't think of the answer within a few seconds and know it's correct, then you really DON'T know the answer. -Ken Jennings from Jeopardy winning streak
    *The longer you look at the possible answers, the more your brain will try to justify that they are all correct.

In short, if you KNOW the material, then the answers should come naturally. The obscure questions they ask that try to trick you, you need to READ each question to figure out EXACTLY what they are asking. I've found that I usually answer a question wrong because I didn't read the whole question, or I missed a word.

Again, these are a few tricks I've learned over the years of taking exams, and training students to take theirs. Some advice has worked, some haven't. Keep at it, and you will definitely get it! I hope my advice is beneficial to you.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Sorry to hear. If it makes you feel any better, I was basically in your exact same shoes last month, got a 680. I was able to give it another shot a week later and bumped up my score almost 100 points.

The biggest lesson I learned was to prepare for the labs. I don't know how comfortable you felt with them, but they can make or break you. In between my first and second attempts, I used the Pearson Network+ Hand - on Lab Simulator. It costs $40, but it made the difference for me, both for preparing for the labs and for memorizing a lot of minutia (port numbers, wiring colors, etc.) that ultimately can make the difference between a fail and a pass.

Also, another big tip is to look at the printout you got after taking the test and focus on the areas you got wrong. Messer's video's are good for review of that nature.

I would actually recommend trying to burst out one more attempt at the exam soon, as waiting too long can end in you forgetting a lot of the information and having to tread old ground on top of what you still have to cover. That's up to you though, of course.

Keep us posted!
    "The winner takes it all"
    Update. Passed the net+ exam today!! Thanks everyone for help
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job! Congratz!

What concept/questions did you find giving you the most trouble ? Or what did you do/prepare for differently this time ?
  • swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Congrats!
    "The winner takes it all"
    I used the transcender site and watched professor messer videos on th areas that I needed study a little more. this test seemed harder then the first one and I really thought I failed it again when I was doing the survey portion. I hit the last button and saw I passed and let out a big breathe of relief. Now time to study for the security+