C|NDA Certification

PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
So I just got an email from EC-Council inviting me to apply for the C|NDA certification. It is the Certified Network Defense Architect. Apparently it's the exact same exam as the Certified Ethical Hacker, but it's only available for those that work in selected areas of the government.

Requirements:

1) Hold a valid (not expired) C|EH certification
2) Work for a government agency (submit proof such as ID card or other non-classified documents)
3) Pay a $200 application fee

Thinking about doing this in a few months, that might hold some more weight for government jobs. Definitely not getting this to advertise my L33T hacking skills (/sarcasm), but whatever can help my chances for keeping gainful employment.
Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College

Comments

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think you actually have to do anything. It sounds like you pay and they give it to you.

For the curious: https://cert.eccouncil.org/images/doc/CNDA-Application-Form.pdf
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for that. I actually meant to put the link in my post.

If the only "check" that they do is to make sure you've paid the fee, then all the simpler.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also received the email and wondered about this.

Sounds like its a give us $200 USD and a piece of paper that shows you work for the government in any way and we will give you the CNDA certificate.

My question is whats the point of this?
    What difference does it make that people who work for the government have one title and others have a different title.

Certified Network Defense Architect does sound good I don't see how that is related to Certified Ethical Hacking???
    If it was like $100 USD I might consider it figuring hey 2 certs for the cost of 1 exam. Maybe it would impress employers who did not look into it realizing it is the same certification.

Is there going to be something like the government requiring you have the CNDA for certain government jobs?
    I'm confused over the purpose of this. Is it just a money grab for $200 USD? When I go to renew is there 2 yearly fees now?

I can't see it just being about money. Maybe they are migrating from CEH to CNDA and CEH will no longer exist?

The naming has me confused too as the CEH is about Red team (Offence) where CNDA sounds like Blue Team (Defense)
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hence the logic of EC-Council... perhaps Cyberguy can provide some insight? LOL

As far as the yearly fees, I didn't think of that. I'll have to check tonight and look up the annual fees. I was told that they would send me an email much in advance before the fees were due so I could budget appropriately, so I haven't bothered looking them up.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When EC-Council wants more cash I laugh. Its literally pay $200 for paper that none of us had heard of prior to this email. Come on guys.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Hmmm looks like its nothing new started back in 2013 at $100 and raised the price to $200 in 2015.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/89780-easiest-certification-i-ever-got.html

I still don't get it....
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have it. It's the CEH if you don't want the word "hacker" on your resume.

I list both, because, why not? Lol
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IronmanX wrote: »
    Hmmm looks like its nothing new started back in 2013
    I still don't get it....
    I have it. It's the CEH if you don't want the word "hacker" on your resume.

Yes, this has been around for a while - I'm not sure what its purpose is, other than to add some "cool factor" to your resume. The cert itself doesn't actually do anything, as far as I can tell. Everyone (including the governmennt already knows what a CEH is, so what's the point?
    Work paid for it.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll send you any cool cert name you want for only $150, it holds just as much weight. How in the world would a CEH cert qualify you to do anything that sounds like a blue team architect? Worst money grab ever.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    How in the world would a CEH cert qualify you to do anything that sounds like a blue team architect? Worst money grab ever.

My thoughts exactly.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I think there's some good value in the C|NDA. And here's why...

OK, I couldn't say that with a straight face. To the point made above, how does Ethical Hacker=Architect? Why the same CBK under different names? Only in EC Council's head. I am convinced this organization has lost it.
    I thought you were going to say something serious when I saw that you included the | in your comment. Wait, no I didn't.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    E|nd t|hread
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Reviving this thread, sorry :).

I only even considered going this because it has the word "architect" in the cert title, and thats the direction I want to go. I know its a joke, but it'll trigger those keyword searches which can lead to the phone call, interview, you know...

I'm still waiting to see if I can qualify for this. I dont work directly for a government agency, but I fall under the DoD 8570 in terms of "needing to meet their cert requirements". I work for a large government contractor. They have yet to answer me on this. But $200, another notch in the cert belt game. My wall of certs at work has made some friends (and a few enemies), but hey whatever. I cert for the next job, not the current one.

Just thoughts or comments if anyone might have heard who actually qualifies for this. I read from them "that it depends".
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
    "CNDA CertificationThe CNDA certification is awarded to Government Employees. You will need to work forany Government Agency as full-time employee or as a contractor to apply for the CNDA certification"

https://cert.eccouncil.org/images/doc/CNDA-Application-Form.pdf

Would you be considered a contractor?
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After writing this post, I remembered that I have access to their help ticketing system and submitted a ticket with this same question. Thankfully this finally got a prompt response:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for writing us. Apologies for the delay in responding.
    Yes, you are eligible for CNDA certification. Please send the application form to cnda@eccouncil.org with the supporting documents.
    Please feel free to get in touch with us for any further assistance and we will be happy to assist you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank You
    EC-Council Support Team

So, that answers it: Yes, I qualify. No, I do not work for a government agency. Yes, EC-Council just wants to make a quick $200.
    Now is it worth it? Who knows. But I recently was found for freelance work as a result of having the obscure ECES, which was a pretty crap cert in my opinion. But they specifically wanted someone with it.

I guess you never know what the future holds. Maybe one day the DoD asks for all people to have a "CND" cert in their belt. I don't know. $200 it is I guess...

[/FONT]
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • dayumshyitdayumshyit Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have my CNDA as I work for a government entity. As for now it has not helped but it will when I decide to apply for a Network Architect job which pays a lot more than an Network Engineer. It's worth every penny on your resume!
    dayumshyit wrote: »
    I have my CNDA as I work for a government entity. As for now it has not helped but it will when I decide to apply for a Network Architect job which pays a lot more than an Network Engineer. It's worth every penny on your resume!
    Eh. I kinda doubt it is worth more than 25 cents. I honestly only got it because I was reimbursed by my employer and it fluffs my resume.
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's definitely a money grab. I'm pretty sure you could print out a badge that says Acme Anvils, Inc. on your ink jet, submit it with $200, and you'd get the cert.