eLearnSecurity

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am a Java web developer, and I am thinking about taking the Practical Web Defense course that eLearnSecurity is offering. I also want to take an eLS course as a prereq to getting accepted by EC-Council to take the CEH exam. I am a programmer, but I am also interested in security, so I want to broaden my skills set.

Here is the course I am thinking about taking:

https://www.elearnsecurity.com/course/practical_web_defense

If you have taken an eLS course, I would like to hear about your experience.
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have not taken their Practical Web Defense but I have taken the Pen Testing Student course. I have also bought the Pentesting Professional class and Mobile Application Security and Pen Testing class. Great material for the price. I would check the release date on the course to see how current the material is. For the CEH you really don't need it for the knowledge. I don't know if eLS will help shape their decision on letting you take the CEH.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • RelearnerRelearner Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm doing the ARES course (reversing engineering) and I'm enjoying it. I don't know other courses but mine is mainly hands-on because the theory is short but the videos and labs are very useful where you learn a lot. It begins from a basic level and it turns more challenger without realizing. I saw the syllabus of the Practical Web Defense and looks complete.
    As TacoRocket said is nice material for the price, and the exam doesn't seems easy! I hope their certifications have more recognition.

I will do a full review when I finish my course :)

Good luck!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I can't recommend eLearnSecurity enough. Their courses are fantastic
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @UnixGuy based on the knowledge acquired or the quality of the material would you recommend eLearnSecurity or Off Sec ?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I haven't taken any course from OffSec but their reputation is excellent. They have the most respected Penetration certification, but it's hard and the course has the philosophy of 'try harder'; whereas eLearnSecurity will provide you with the material and 'hand holding'. I personally will do eLearnSecurity then Offensive Security but you can go ahead and start with Offensive Security

Offensive Security OSCP has easily become the benchmark for Penetration testing certs, and it's quite challenging.

you can't go wrong with either eLearnSecurity or OffSec
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really like the eLearnSecurity course I took as well. I don't have knowledge outside of the eJPT but it was good content and quality for a reasonable price.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I am going to go ahead and take the eLS Penetration Testing Professional and Practical Web Defense courses since everyone here is saying good things about eLS.

I am surprised that CompTIA does not recognize any of the exams by eLS for credit towards renewing Security+, CSA+, and CASP.
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
    I just got back from taking another looking on the website. The Web Defense course was released in 2013, and it is still on the first version. The Penetration Testing Professional course is on the fourth version (released June 2016).

For now, I will just do the latter course.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you looking for courses that will teach you how to code securely and fix security issues or are you looking for a penetration testing course? Because there is a BIG difference between the two of them.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    I understand there is a big difference between the two, and I am interested in both. I do software development at work, which is why I am interested in coding securely. But I also want to get my feet wet in penetration testing.
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    bjpeter wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I am going to go ahead and take the eLS Penetration Testing Professional and Practical Web Defense courses since everyone here is saying good things about eLS.I am surprised that CompTIA does not recognize any of the exams by eLS for credit towards renewing Security+, CSA+, and CASP.
    CompTIA does accept eLS courses for credit towards their certs. At least they accepted eJPT to finish my Security+ CEUs. You just have to send them a copy of your certificate and a pdf or screenshot of the course objectives and outline. I think eJPT is supposedly worth 10, but I only needed 5 so I can't confirm that. Just go off of whatever is on the cert as their say how many CPEs it should be worth (I assume for CISSP or something).