NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
edited September 2019 in Off-Topic

Comments

• cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    I would keep them, a neat concept is it shows the Employer your progress through your education/certs. Plus the more certs on your linkedin = more keywords for recruiters to find you IMO.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no set time. What defines when to remove them is when you're no longer applying for job openings that ask for those certifications. Then you can remove them. Or any time a certification expires, of course.
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the most part, I'd say leave them. If you have lower level certs that are direct prerequisites for higher level certs you've obtained, then maybe you could remove those without losing anything, e.g. remove CCNA/CCNP R&S when you have a CCIE R&S.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I leave them all on linkedin because there isn't really a space issue. For resumes I'd tailor it more to specific jobs.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sort of depends what your target audience is. When applying and you expect a resume analysis system, it makes sense to include every cert you currently possess. When you expect to be dealing with people who know what they're doing (or simply want to avoid the hoards of recruiters trying to get you into a help-desk role simply because you have an A+), maybe you simply list the top certs. So even though I have A+, Net+, Security+, CCNA, misc. other certs, I don't list them.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't. If some jobs have CCNA as a prereq and you have the CCNP, who is to say they don't just gloss over the fact that the CCNA isn't listed? Talking recruits who might not have that much IT knowledge...
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    9bits and Danielm7 think the same way I do, for the most part.

I haven't advertised the "plus" certs anywhere in quite a while. They are entry level and don't really serve any purpose in my situation (been in the game since 2001). I look at those kinds of certs as I do listing education on a resume...if you've graduated college, there isn't really any point in listing what high school you attended since it's applicability has been surpassed. I generally do the same thing with certs. When I got my MCSE, I didn't say I have an MCSA and an MCSE. Some people go overboard and list every cert they've ever earned, and I for one never bother reading to the end of the list.

I have left all of my Cisco certs on LinkedIn, even though they are expired and the date they expired is clearly listed. I leave them there to show that what I have now isn't all I've ever had, and I can say, "Yes, potential boss man, I earned my CCNA Security and CCDA previously, but due to pursuing an advanced degree and yada yada yada, I was unable to maintain those certifications" (that's a true story :)). In a few years, I'll probably remove them due to age and relevancy compared to the cert that will be current at the time.

For resumes, be aware of the frequently used keyword search systems. In my personal opinion only the applicable "recent" certifications (those that support the position you are applying for) should be listed on a resume that is tailored to a specific position, and spelling them out may be a good idea...aka, "Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)". This gives the resume filter something to read as well as a person when (if) they get a hold of it.

-EDIT-

One caveat...if you have a CCNP and really, really want a job that specifically asks for the CCNA, you can list them both if you want since the lack of CCNA on the resume would preclude you getting a chance due to the keyword filter.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I leave them all on linkedin because there isn't really a space issue. For resumes I'd tailor it more to specific jobs.

I concur. Linkedin, put everything. I'd even put expired certs, since you can put a "valid to" date. I'd list every minor course I've ever done, every cert, every qualification, claim every skill I can think of. It's data that's mined more than a resume that is read. Let the algorithms figure it out.

If you are applying, and expect a real person will actually read your resume, then make sure to answer everything in the job listing. If you don't have a perfect match, stretch something to fit (MCP + experience to cover an MCSA). Then include anything else that seems relevant (eg if they ask for CCNA R+S, mention the CCNA Security or the Juniper). If they ask for a skill, but don't ask for a cert, list your experience and the relevant cert.

Anything asking about desktop support, hardware, or technician skills, A+ is worth listing.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've removed all my low level certs because I'm not interested in recruiters spamming me for low level position.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I removed CompTIA and Microsoft certifications after I moved into security. I only had CISSP, GCIH, and CCNP Security listed when I landed my current role. My CCNP Security expires this month so I will no longer list it (CEH has been added and hopefully GCIA and CISM before the year is over).
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Under certification all I have is Sec+, COMSEC, eJPT and I speak French =(
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll probably drop A+ and Net+ from my print resume once I obtain the GCIH, CSA+ and LFCS later this year. I figure a person only has a few seconds of first impression on a reader and less can be more--so make what he or she reads important and as non--extraneous as possible.

Undecided on LinkedIn for dropping certs. Yes, I have unlimited space compared to a 2ish page limit on the print resume, but it is a valid point that the only people screening for A+ and Net+ are those looking to fill entry-level positions.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't. If some jobs have CCNA as a prereq and you have the CCNP, who is to say they don't just gloss over the fact that the CCNA isn't listed? Talking recruits who might not have that much IT knowledge...

Good point, a recruiter might say, the job requires a CCNA, sorry this applicant only has a CCNP, he doesn't qualify, on to next applicant.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.