Point of No Return

mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
icon_eek.gif

I've submitted my payment information for my Security Lab Date and received my "Your CCIE lab payment information was updated" email.

I still have the "drop" button on my Certification Status page, so I guess I have until they process my payment to chicken out.... which should be tomorrow.

If I limit work to only 8 hours a day and sleep to 4 hours and study the rest of the time (and all day weekends) I think I might stand a chance of passing.
:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!

Comments

• steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Wow, Good luck Mike :D

All the best for your lab attempt -- icon_thumright.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck mate! Be sure to keep us updated.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    If I limit work to only 8 hours a day and sleep to 4 hours and study the rest of the time (and all day weekends) I think I might stand a chance of passing

dont forget to program plenty of coffe breaks in to prevent meltdown! or caffinee energy drinks!!

Good luck man!
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike:

Seriously don't take on too much sleep-debt. Your mind will be slower and less accurate. I know you're half joking (I hope icon_eek.gif ) but a good night's sleep will allow your study time, alertness, and information retention to be at peak performance.

Although I guess you've taken enogh exams for any 3 of us mortals and no doubt you know what works for you. icon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Best of luck! You can do it.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Seriously don't take on too much sleep-debt. Your mind will be slower and less accurate.
    I just took a 2 hour cat nap. I hope that lost 2 hours of study doesn't come back to haunt me on the Lab Exam icon_lol.gif

Yeah, I'm not as young as I used to be.... and I've been missing that regular 8 hours I had been getting the last few years. But with only one shot at the Version 1 Security Lab Exam before the Jan 2 changes I may have to push it a bit. I've bedn going to bed later and later recently, but still waking up early without an alarm clock in the morning -- thanks to the sun in my eyes and a big hungry gray cat.

Unless they announce changes to the R&S Lab -- I plan a more leisurely pace for that one.
    Take my advice - Try to sleep - I'm taking pills next time.
    I may try a couple of Guinness with dinner the night before the Lab Exam... and just hope that and a lack of sleep from study in these next 28 or 29 days will overcome the pre-Lab jitters.

Which San Jose hotel on the lab list has Guinness on site? Or has the closest availability? Something to add to my "to-do" list. Already want a hotel with an exercise room -- I figure I'll do at least 5 miles on a treadmill and 25-30 miles on an exercycle. No laptop. Maybe just a notebook with my review notes.
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    Good luck mikej412.

How many CCIE's , do you already have ? And don't forget to tell us the experience icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
    A 2 hour cat nap today AND I'm going to bed "early" :D
    !30 wrote:
    How many CCIE's , do you already have ? And don't forget to tell us the experience icon_wink.gif
    None. I just paid for my first lab attempt (payment must be made 28 days before your lab date). I'm sure I'll find the time to update my Certification List when I do get one. icon_lol.gif

After reading Darby's posts and my current study -- I've decided it pretty much sucks until you pass the lab exam -- and there is not time to worry about that. Too much study and caffeine, and not enough sleep.

And I'm guessing that it all starts over if you decided to go for a 2nd one.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Good luck!!!!!!
    Now working full time!
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mike,

i think u will do fine.. just get some rest and do a review of the obsure stuff that you could do, as i bet this is alot of what the lab will be after icon_thumright.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Rest is important, but the month preceeding an IE lab should be smack full of studying 24/7. Personally, I would get plenty of rest the 72 hours immediately preceeding the lab, though. Like WildFire said: drink plenty of caffeine!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    All the best Mike. Now get back to that rack. :D
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • pahujasaurabhpahujasaurabh Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All the best. I am sure you will make it :)
    Saurabh Pahuja
    CCNA CCDP
  • DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
    I hope my posts are not that depressing.
    Actually, you made it sound like it was fun! icon_lol.gif

And that hid the things like your cot by your rack....

My lab and study area is now combined down in the living room.... and I'm hoping to never sleep on the sofa (even though it is comfortable). That would mean I was up too late studying, and was too tired to make it upstairs to go to bed. I even replaced the cat blankets that had been on the sofa with cat beds, so that I wouldn't be tempted to use them after a late night on the equipment.
    Just checked my email.... and got my "Credit Card Payment Approved" notice for my Security Lab. icon_eek.gif
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Now it really is the point of no return, my friend. Rock on!
    MrD wrote:
    Now it really is the point of no return
    There could be an earthquake or maybe a blizzard.....
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    MrD wrote:
    Now it really is the point of no return
    There could be an earthquake or maybe a blizzard.....[/quote

Get Studying! :)
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Blizzard in San Jose? Good luck on that one! icon_wink.gif

Good luck with the studying....
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Good Luck Mike!! icon_cool.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Good luck for your new trophy on your certs board ;)
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • DW [banned]DW [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 240
    There is a soft whirring noise in one of my offices from a Server that she says sounds like a jet
    Nothing beats the turbine engine sound of a well stocked home office. icon_lol.gif

But I do have a cat that sounds like a Cessna when she's sleeping on my pillow and purring -- luckly with the CCIE study that doesn't happen as often as it used to.
    Sounds like this cert should come with a built in relationship counselor! icon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

No doubt. Talk it over with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, make sure they understand the rewards and the cost. If you can get buy-in, things will be much better. I tried to over-estimate the cost in time and money, so I can hopefully come in under budget :D
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITdude wrote:
    Sounds like this cert should come with a built in relationship counselor! icon_lol.gif

it should that why i'm taking a small break before venturing down that path
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Fiber-OpticsFiber-Optics Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like your truly prepared to rip that ccie lab apart when you get there, definately would love to hear all about your experience when you pass the ccie security lab.

I agree with the lab should come with a counselor after all the hard work involved just to get the cert.

Keeping my figures crossed for you.
    Definitely some food for thought! It would be much easier to accomplish if you have someone supporting you in your corner, rather than being jealous of time taken away from them...

The dream that I could pass the CCIE Security Lab (Version 1) is still alive.

Work and real life has cut into my hoped for study time before my lab date -- but I still think there is a possibility that I might know enough on my lab date to pass. icon_lol.gif

I figure in about 8 days, my lab prep will seek revenge against work.... and start cutting into my work time.

I may call it an early night tonight since I've heard rumors of some sort of holiday that may give me 4 days straight days of uninterrupted study.