Options

Failed 1st Attempt Network+ Test - My Thoughts!

Ltnluv23Ltnluv23 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
My firs time posting guys! I took my Security+ a month ago and passed on the first try (my second cert after A+), so I figured I'd complete the trifecta and go for the Network+. Some of the Sec+ material helped, and here is what I did addtionallty.

1. Watched ALL of the Professor Messer's videos and did his tests, and reviewed his notes as well.
2. Did a bunch of practice tests on various sites, including this one.
3. Downloaded Darril Gibsons iOS app,
4. Did subnetting till I finally understood it and found it easy.

Now on to my test; I didn't see a single subnetting question lol, and the majority of the questions were long, paragraph form world problems (ie. out of the following correct answers, choose the best). Not to mention I ran out of time (i nearly guessed the last 5 questions as I only had seconds left). I thought the Sec+ test was more up front and direct, as opposed to these questions. Luckily I got the retake voucher, but is this normal to have this test be this difficult? I even hear people who pass the CCNA have a hard time with this test! icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    ZzLuLzZzLuLz Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed too icon_sad.gif. I hear that 30% of people that take it fail it. I almost ran out of time and it is exactly how you say it is, that's why i'm thinking about just doing CCNA.
  • Options
    Yeah, i was all good and ready for my subnetting (used Messer's 7-second subnetting strategy), and I was disappointed I didn't see any LoL (didn't think I'd be saying that). I think I spent more time trying to read and decipher the question, more than anything. I will retake it this Monday and hope to pass it. I'm thinking about buying the Transcender's Practice exams, after hearing some people say it was a good resource.
  • Options
    Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Messer's video's are considered supplementary for Net+.
    If that's basically your only studying resource then you will be in trouble.
    I would suggest getting a book (Mike Myers made a good one).
    And yeah, subnetting is barely covered on the exam, I learned that the hard way last month myself.

Keep your head up.
    "The winner takes it all"
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wording is a fact in Comptia exams, make sure to read the question twice and search for the word that gives you the answer.

I failed last year with Sec+ and working towards to take it again on May.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    edgg51edgg51 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gonna take it next Thursday. I've studying professor Messer's videos, bought Mike Meyers book and bought the CertMaster from compTIA. Hopefully I pass it, it makes me anxious to know that many people fails the test, even when they feel confident about passing. When I took the A+ exam they gave me an extra 30 minutes (which I didn't even used, finished both tests in 30 min each) because I live in non-native English speaking country. I'm not sure if they'll do the same with Network+.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, I agree totally. I thought the questions were worded strangely. I had to read most of them multiple times to try to figure out what they were getting at. I think they give you key words that they want you to should focus on. I did have one rather difficult subnetting question that I don't think I got right. I had studied subnetting a lot and I still think I blew it on the test. I did pass when it was all over, but I was sweating for sure. Good luck, you got this!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @edgg51...CompTIA is usually generous with time, so if it was given for the A+ exams, it should be given for the other exams.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    edgg51edgg51 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    @edgg51...CompTIA is usually generous with time, so if it was given for the A+ exams, it should be given for the other exams.

If you are correct, I wouldn't mind the extra time icon_cheers.gif, specially with Network+.
  • Options
    I did also purchased professor Messer's book, but mainly used it as a reference point. I think I will focus on the areas I needed to work on, by using the book to fully read those sections. If the questions weren't paragraph long, time wouldn't be an issue. I think I may have seen around 15 total questions that were just direct and sentence-long.