Options

Recomended screen real estate for OSCP (penetration testing in general)

emilopaemilopa Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I am about to start the PWK course, and I am worried about screen real estate, my current setup is 15.6" laptop with 1366X768 resolution and i dont think it will be enough.

At work right now I have 2 23" full hd screens and it is perfect for me (I am system administraor, doing a littel bit of scripting).

Do you reccomend maybe switching to PC with 2 screens, or maybe buying new laptop (17" - at LEAST full HD resulution) - or you think that the current laptop will be enough? I am afraid that ill start the course and then will get annoyed and distracted by the lack of space and I dont want to waste lab time.

I might as well just buy another screen and connect my current laptop to it.

As you can understand I am looking for an advice from someone how actully went throgh the course and can tell from his experience what is actully recomended.

Thank you very much :)

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not gone through the course but in general having 2 screens is always better. I cant even remember the last time I used 1 screen. Got 2 24" screens. I'm doing the eJPT now and I think it would have been frustrating for me doing that in 1 screen or a laptop.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did the OSCP with my 17" laptop only. Obviously I would've preferred 2 bigger screens but I mean, it's not the screens that'll make the difference on passing the exam.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Getting a basic 27-29" ultra-wide to attach to an existing laptop will be far less expensive than a new laptop.
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I did the OSCP with a 17.5" laptop only and like Jasmin said above, it would have been nice to have two monitors but in the end it wont really matter.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    sathish09sathish09 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hii, i have started my oscp on march 5 .. can anyone of you give me an invite to discord channel
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is a best case scenario - assuming you (or your employer) can afford it:

Mobile - 17"
    Desktop - dual 30"(ish) 4k

If you want to pentest for real, more is better. Often times you'll be on 2 or 3 engagements at the same time and could have 15 different windows open that you'll want to keep your eyes on. Obviously having lots of screen real estate is best for that. For just learning the ropes or doing a training class, whatever doesn't give you a headache or eye strain will work, but more is better when doing it in real life for a real employer.
  • Options
    emilopaemilopa Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the help.

I will probably buy a 27" 2K monitor (my laptop cant push 4K) and plug it to my laptop for now.

with that setup, I can take just the laptop outside or to the bed and watch the videos or some other courses if I want to, and when im working and learning I can plug it in and will have enough space.

Again, thank you! I will start the course sometime next week.. I am very excited :)