Quick questions on microsoft certs

Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
Aside from MCSE's, do the MCSA's need renewal? If so how long? Also I'm aware that most people have certs for server 2012r2 + Windows 7 apprently because the IT industry doesn't really use server 2016 + Windows 10. Correct? You lot think this might change in the future? And if it does would you upgrade your certs? Thanks.

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes MCSAs need renewal as well, every 3 years.
    I haven't seen many W2K16 servers yet but I've seen companies having both Windows 7 and 10 desktops.
    It depends on what you use at work I guess, but it's always good to upgrade so you can stay up to date.
  • doubleodoubleo Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes MCSAs need renewal as well, every 3 years..

No, MCSAs are permanent but you should keep upgrading just to stay in touch with the latest technologies.
    As of March 31, 2017 so are MCSEs kind of.
    2018 goals: CCNA
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft is playing the semantics game. You do not need to renew your certifications but you do need to take a new test each year to keep your certification "active". Which, in real speak, means you need to keep renewing year after year. I think it is a good idea to require people to keep their certifications going but I've read a couple of MS articles that just seemed so...nonsensical.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Microsoft is playing the semantics game. You do not need to renew your certifications but you do need to take a new test each year to keep your certification "active". Which, in real speak, means you need to keep renewing year after year. I think it is a good idea to require people to keep their certifications going but I've read a couple of MS articles that just seemed so...nonsensical.

Why is there no mention of this in there policies + faqs? I cannot find anything saying your certs go inactive after a year. Are microsoft transparent when it comes to when your certs become inactive? For example is there a page on your MS account showing all your cert details + dates for when they go inactive?

Another question I have, say you've got a MCSA in windows 8 and server 2012. If this 1 year thing is the case, would you only need to upgrade 1 of them or both? Overall I'm really confused here. Cisco and CompTIA are simple + clear enough when it comes to how there certs operate. Microsoft is just a giant mess from my perspective.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Specifically with MCSA Windows 8 and MCSA Server 2012, no, you don't need to renew or stay current.

It's the new MCSE's that have this ambiguous "update" option. I think that the new MCSE's will have an "earned" date on them, so to stay "current", you sit another optional exam to get it earned for the current year. From the MS certification FAQ:
    Q. What is the difference between the new MCSE and MCSD specialities, introduced in September 2016, and the existing ones?

A. The new MCSE and MCSD certifications (MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSE: Mobility, MCSE: Data Management and Analytics, MCSE: Productivity, and MCSD: AppBuilder) are aligned to Centers of Excellence, used by the Microsoft Partner Network to identify technical competencies that are widely recognizable by both Microsoft partners and customers. These credentials do not have a recertification requirement. Instead, the achievement date signifies how you keep up with changes to the technology. Every year, you have the opportunity to re-earn the certification by passing an exam from the list of electives, demonstrating your investment in broadening or deepening your skills in a given Center of Excellence. Each time you earn the certification, a new certification entry is added to your transcript. This process replaces the existing recertification requirement of taking a specific recertification exam every two years(MCSD)or every three years(MCSE)to prevent your certification from going inactive.

I don't think that it will make much practical difference, since people are probably doing 1 exam per year on average anyway. You can get the new MCSE's with as few as 3 exams.

And to add to the confusion here, MS current FAQ page has this:
    Q. How long is a Microsoft Certification valid?

A. Microsoft Certifications are valuable in the market and remain valuable as long as companies are using the technologies covered in the certification. Over time, certifications retire and eventually transition to a Legacy status. Legacy Microsoft Certifications appear on your transcript, designated as such. For the most current certification status, refer to the Retired certifications page .
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks OctalDump for the detailed post and clearing this up.