What should I do in the mean time?

Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay, the the spiel. I going to centriq, not really a college but classes that help you get certified. The classes is 8 months long, and m-f from 6pm to 10pm. When I complete centriq, I should come out with a+, mta networking, security+, ccent (if I work really hard and study.) Here my question. Should I start early and start studying for my a+ or should I chill? On one hand, I want to chill and relax until I start this intense training at centriq but on the other hand I want to start studying and be ahead. I don't have a job yet but I going to focus on my studies when I go to centriq. Thank you for your input.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're going to pay someone else to show you how to study for entry-level certs. You're deciding whether or not you should slack off until that someone else begins. No offense intended; just trying to put things in a different perspective.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Ryan9764Ryan9764 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I not paying for it. The instructor gives you hand on exp and have high percentage of jobs when I finished. The certs come with it and you get unlimited tries.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    how long is the gap? it should give you a head start. 8 months is going to alot to do the 5 exams you listed.
    Get A+ out of the way now. This stuff is not easy.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • jrisbrookjrisbrook Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yoba2222 is right. mta networking fundamentals might even be below entry level. I would go A+ Net+ Sec+ and then CCNA if I were you. all 3 CompTia exams have a reasonable amount of overlap and will really give you a solid foundation in I.T. Those certs alone will get you a good job if you know how to put together a good resume and have decent communication skills for phone interviews. With only a Net+ and a good resume' posted on indeed I wouldn't even consider a face to face interview for less than 20$ an hour. Get your A+ and immediately start job hunting. Don't waste time waiting or trying to complete a free course. Go out into the world and make your bones. "In bunsiness you never get what you deserve, only what you can negotiate."
    Currently working on : BS C.S.I.A - WGU

Just trying to be better today, than I was yesterday...
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would enjoy the time off. Some people (myself included) get bit by the cert bug pretty hard and don't stop once they get started. This is me since 2013: CCNA Security -> CCNP Security (4 exams) -> CISSP (passed on 3rd attempt) -> GCIH -> C|EH -> GCIA (currently) -> CISM (next).

If you have a social life then why not live it up. But if you lack hobbies and absolutely have nothing to do then it definitely wouldn't hurt to get started early.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    I would enjoy the time off. Some people (myself included) get bit by the cert bug pretty hard and don't stop once they get started. This is me since 2013: CCNA Security -> CCNP Security (4 exams) -> CISSP (passed on 3rd attempt) -> GCIH -> C|EH -> GCIA (currently) -> CISM (next).

If you have a social life then why not live it up. But if you lack hobbies and absolutely have nothing to do then it definitely wouldn't hurt to get started early.

Your hobby is certs E Double U.
    Depends. You take like a month of classes than a self study week, than you go to the next course and you have a self study week. Like i said, you do get breaks but not long. The course is pretty intense.

I don't really have a social life except studying. But there stuff I want to do like turn the upstairs room into a retro room. Maybe get some of my games from backlog complete.
    Oh yeah, I started to go to the gym. I want to lose some lbs also. I have a set goal before I start centriq.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have other productive things and goals then shoot for them. It's always good to mix things up a bit.
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got my A+ and Net+ in 2010 then didn't do another cert until March of last year. My last 12 months I have done Sec+, CISSP, Solarwinds SCP, Six-Sigma white belt, and Nessus Fundamentals (cybrary micro cert). I have also completed about 10 FedVTE, cybrary, and Skillsoft courses in that time. I know most of these certs are hardly worth mentioning but stll been a pretty busy 12 months for me
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□

but you probably doubled your salary in that time!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @TheFORCE - I hate to admit it, but I think you are right lol

@Cisco Inferno - I didn't double the salary, but I was able to relocate to another continent on a highly skilled migrant visa :D

@Ryan9764 - No social life - study away!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have no job, no certs, no work exp you shouldn't be relaxing.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP