Do lab kits come with the IOS?

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm wondering if i buy a lab from certificationkits will they also come with the IOS or will I have to purchase that separately? If so how much does the license normally cost?

Thanks

Comments

• 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I'm wondering if i buy a lab from certificationkits will they also come with the IOS or will I have to purchase that separately? If so how much does the license normally cost?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with that particular company, but generally any time you buy a Cisco switch or router, it will come with some version of the IOS installed. The question you want to ask is which version. Make sure the version is recent enough to lab the stuff you want to lab.

You can upgrade the IOS separately if you can find the files. You're probably not going to want to buy the IOS direct from Cisco as it would cost more than you paid for the whole lab kit.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my understanding I'm not aware you can purchase IOS, it comes with the hardware from Cisco and is not sold separately. There is a very good chance the hardware you buy will come with IOS and you can also download some versions of IOS for free at Cisco.

What hardware?
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used certification kits to get started. They will give you everything you need. As stated usually the hardware comes with the IOS installed. Most used equipment will have an older IOS. This will not stop you from studying. Hardware is not required for CCNA it just helps the overall learning experience.

On this site we can't recommend where to get copies of the IOS but google can help you.

Good Luck!
  • steele84steele84 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The joy of smartnet, however I don't know how cisco handles that for retired / un-supported hardware. But normally when you have a smartnet contract for cisco hardware you will be allowed to download ios that is suited for the hardware SN that is registered in the contract.

I would not 100% hold in good faith all ebay labs, some sellers are awesome but other take advantage of hardware refreshes and notice that they can get better returns on sales if its part of a "hardware" lab kit or CCNA / CCNP kit. Just do your diligence when picking out a vendor.
    “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson