Options

Has anyone appealed an IAPP exam

JestinaJestina Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I sat the CIPT exam. I scored quite well on average 74% across the 7 domains and even managed 100% on one domain. What has really gotten to me was there were approx 3 questions which weren't in the book. I have searched and can't find them. I am in the process of appealing. I wondered if anyone has successfully appealed and got a pass awarded. I can't help feeling that I was so close!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am not very familiar with this test. Is there an expectation for every single question to be in that book?
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I am not very familiar with this test. Is there an expectation for every single question to be in that book?

IAPP is International Association of Privacy Professionals. CIPT paper is based on privacy and technology. Yes, the general idea is that you study the resources that they recommend and that's it for preparing for the exam. If they said that there may be a few ones that may not be in the book then I can understand but it can really knock you as it did me. Completely panicked me which I know affected my performance. I know with some exams you have to keep your knowledge up to date etc as well as read resources but it really sticks in my craw that these dud questions could have been the difference between a pass and fail. And, if I am honest with you putting me off paying for a resit. The exam was online and something tells me that they loaded a few questions incorrectly. The questions looked like they were targeted at computor programmers. I guess I'm reaching here.
  • Options

Institute of Privacy Professionals. CIPT is an exam relating to privacy and technology. Yes, they say that all you need to do is read the book and that's it on terms of preparing for the exam.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just like any certification not everything will be in the study material and in that case you draw on experience.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I had serious doubts that their books were authoritative sources. I confirmed my suspicions with a quick read of their candidate bulletin:
    Candidates for certification must understand that no published text can keep pace with the rapidly- changing privacy landscape. We continuously adjust our exam content to represent the latest regulatory and technological changes and we expect candidates for IAPP certification to know about the important developments in their sector that may modify or supplant information in the authoritative texts.

That seems pretty clear to me. Where exactly did you get the idea the book was all you needed?
  • Options
    I had serious doubts that their books were authoritative sources. I confirmed my suspicions with a quick read of their candidate bulletin:

That seems pretty clear to me. Where exactly did you get the idea the book was all you needed?

It's one thing to be presented with a question and not know the answer but there were a few questions where I did not even understand the question. They looked so off topic like they were questions for a computer programmer, even the type font looked different to the other main questions. Thanks for your help anyway.
  • Options
    japatrick1818japatrick1818 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is not much of an appeals process. They won't let you see your responses after the exam and you can't take any materials out of the exam, so it's basically your word against theirs. It's the only standardized test I've ever taken that does not allow anyone to challenge the questions. The formulation of questions on the CIPP/US exam was bizarre and a few had two correct answers you had to choose from. It seems to me to be a very shoddy organization. 
  • Options
    SpanishTotemSpanishTotem Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It happens the same in other certifications. Questions are poorly drafted and sometimes you have to choose the option a non-expert professional would choose. 

• Options
    sfportarosfportaro Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jestina said:
    I sat the CIPT exam. I scored quite well on average 74% across the 7 domains and even managed 100% on one domain. What has really gotten to me was there were approx 3 questions which weren't in the book. I have searched and can't find them. I am in the process of appealing. I wondered if anyone has successfully appealed and got a pass awarded. I can't help feeling that I was so close!
    They do not guarantee that all questions are in any book if that was the case experience would not come into play. When I took the CIPT a million years ago this was stated. For example I was expected to know the GDPA even though it was brand new 
  • Options
    CaseyWalkerCaseyWalker Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The questions looked like they were targeted at computor programmers.