Options

INFOSEC didn't do it for me - Going back to old architecture job.

tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was doing top down/bottom up data center and test network design/architecture for the last 5 years but was doing about 3-4 months of travel a year.

A buddy called me up and asked if I wanted to do 8570 RMF/DJSIG work for the DoD with zero travel... which sounded good on paper. I took a fairly hefty pay cut for an INFOSEC management job with zero travel that was fairly close to my house. I started December 5th.

I do not like doing information security work as a sole profession. With a strict separation of duties you find out how limiting a policy development job can be. I thought I could make the switch but I actually like being technical. Being limited to policy only and also being stuck in a secure facility makes it that much more intolerable. No windows to the outside world, no mobile devices. Being connected all day for the last 20 years can really change a mindset.

I have kept a good relationship with my old company and they offered me my old job with a 6 week travel requirement and additional junior system engineers to help with the workload. Looks like I am going back. I also had a requirement to get my CISSP so I could be assigned as an IAM III. I passed the test on February 23rd and haven't even finished the endorsement process and now I will not need it.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Make sure you finish the endorsement process so that it dpesnt expire and then you need to retake the test.

As far going back to technical might be a good decision if that's where your passion is. I did a similar move too and moved to another role. Sometimes money is not everything, enjoying what you do can be more fulfilling than making extra $$. I think we will see more and more posts like this in the future, infosec is not for everyone.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ OP That sound terrible. GL on going back!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Sorry to hear InfoSec wasn't your cup of tea, but it's always best to do a job that you enjoy doing most of all! Good luck on your new endeavors and as TheFORCE mentioned, ABSOLUTELY go ahead and send in your paperwork for endorsement on the CISSP. Having it will not hurt and will only open doors to doing security architecture.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tunerX wrote: »
    With a strict separation of duties you find out how limiting a policy development job can be. I thought I could make the switch but I actually like being technical.
    I also had a requirement to get my CISSP so I could be assigned as an IAM III. I passed the test on February 23rd and haven't even finished the endorsement process and now I will not need it.

I can understand where you're coming from - in DoD the INFOSEC side is mostly separated from the Ops/Engineering stuff, except at the higher levels of design and some monitoring, depending on the organization. That is by design to prevent conflicts of interest between the two sides (different sets of hands implementing & doing policy stuff.) I moved back towards the technical stuff when I started to get frustrated I couldn't be more involved with making the actual stuff work. It's hard to work in DoD without choosing one side or the other.

CISSP is sometimes an IAT III requirement as well - I've come across several folks doing higher-level technical work who got their CISSP for 8570 reasons.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear InfoSec wasn't your cup of tea, but it's always best to do a job that you enjoy doing most of all! Good luck on your new endeavors and as TheFORCE mentioned, ABSOLUTELY go ahead and send in your paperwork for endorsement on the CISSP. Having it will not hurt and will only open doors to doing security architecture.

I already submitted the endorsement application. I have two more weeks until I hit the 6 week mark. I might be back at my old job before I get the official email.
  • Options
    I guess I was wrong... 4 weeks to the day.

• Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    and here I thought this was an "I'm quitting IT" whining thread. :) Back to the drafting table and T square!

Congrats on the CISSP timing, and I think you made the right choice. I'm with you, I don't think I could have been happy in an INFOSEC job like that.