902 passed! Got A+!

Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
Got A+ wrapped up this morning. Here are my thoughts on the 901 and 902 tests-

901 is like 80% computer hardware and 20% software. Conversely, 902 is 80% software and 20% hardware. If you have your base of IT knowledge from software (i.e, loading Windows images onto computers), then 902 shouldn't be that hard. Likewise, if you have had at least a minimal amount of experience repairing laptops or even just watching tech related YouTube channels (such as Linus Tech Tips), then the 901 material will come easier to you. Even just being remotely familiar with a smartphone will help you with that test.

In general, the 901 is probably a bit easier, because the 902 asked some ridiculous questions. I won't spoil one of the simulation questions, but I can tell you that the way they structure the simulations makes it very difficult to get the right answer unless you know EXACTLY the way they want you to do it. Not only do you need to know how to fix a problem, but you need to know how to do it in the EXACT way CompTIA wants you to, or else you will get the question wrong. Unforgiving.

Now then, here's my advice.

First off, if you are a college student, do NOT spend $205 on the exam vouchers. CompTIA actually offers vouchers for deep discounts if you are a student with a .edu email address. The CompTIA Academic Marketplace offers vouchers for just $95. You can get other vouchers there too. For example, you can get the Security+ voucher for $203 instead of the $320 they would normally charge you. Its a huge savings that I don't think too many people know about.

Second, Watch Professor Messer's YouTube video series, its a good way to get a surface level understanding of the relevant tech for the exams. Yes, its super boring after a while, but run it at 1.25 or 1.5 speed and you can burn through it with some patience.

Third, Ucertify is very expensive, but guarantees that you will pass the exams the first time or else they will refund you for the course. I was actually in the position that I would have SAVED money by FAILING the 902 exam ($239 for the 902 course vs $95 for the exam), and that took a lot of weight off of my shoulders as I started the test. If you run through the chapters and then take the test engine at the end (which forces you to get questions right 3 times before you can advance to the next batch, out of a total of several hundred questions), it drills knowledge into your brain like a military boot camp. I went from not being ready to take the test to being confident and prepared within 2 days by just pounding the test engine.

Anyways, onto Security+

I got my top choice for internships recently and I am hoping they will let me do Cyber Security, I'm sure that having some tech certs will help me make my case.

I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks for the help and guidance, as always!
"The winner takes it all"

Comments

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • modogg89modogg89 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.
  • paulipauli Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats.

regarding the vouchers I am a college student but my school email address is did not with .edu and I want to get the vouchers as I have already failed the 901 exam which i spent almost 250cad to write please how can I save on those vouchers.
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    congradulations
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • codingfanaticcodingfanatic Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info! Just passed my 901 with your help. icon_thumright.gif
  • MrDrewMrDrew Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats! icon_cheers.gif Pretty sure I ran into one of those 'you must do it our way' problems on the 902 today.