Failed (695) - First Attempt

rmcutlerrmcutler Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Made my first attempt at the CISSP today and failed, just barely. I guess the main reason I wanted to post something is to answer a question I had before I took the test. I was reading these posts 2 weeks ago and a lot of the "passed" posts say that multiple study guides/reference books were used. I was reading these and wondering to myself "Is that really necessary? Shouldn't the official ISC2 study guide by Sybex encompass just about everything since they sponsor the exam?".

Well, I'm going to go with "yes, it's necessary". I relied solely on the ISC2 7th Edition book and additional practice tests. I read it cover to cover and made hundreds of my own flashcards in the process. And for the last week I've been reviewing those flash cards and taking all the ISC2 practice tests (domain and combined). If you're like me and looking for validation that just reading the one booking is enough, I'm sorry to say that I don't think it is.

I've got my second attempt scheduled for April 28th and intend to review several other sources before then so I can more than just barely pass. icon_study.gif

Comments

• cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using the Sybex 7th Edition as well. I have the transcender exams and the sybex practice test. I also used Cybrary and CBT nuggets. Did you use any videos, or only the sybex book and practice tests?

I only used one book as I don't always take the information that well in when reading it. I tend to watch the videos and research certain topics to help it all go in.

Did you do the sybex tests? I have completed all four exams provided with the book. I have just finished the last exam and got 81%. Hopefully that means I'm ready for tomorrow when I take my CISSP exams.

Any tips for tomorrow?
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am studying toward my CISSP, hopefully for late Q3-Q4 2017. Yesterday I started the Cybrary CISSP course by Kelly Handerhan. You should watched them, specially the intro. She says that close failure like yours is not about domain knowledge but more about a mindset problem, and I believed her. Recently I wrote the SSCP (mostly the same domain, but more technically inclined) then I started to do some prep test for CISSP, this way I saw what she was referring to. Look at this, it should help you!
  • logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can elaborate more? Were did you find the gap. In your understanding of a topic/tech/method Or how is it applied/used/ required. I am also following Sybex and official test only approach.
    Can elaborate more? Were did you find the gap. In your understanding of a topic/tech/method Or how is it applied/used/ required. I am also following Sybex and official test only approach.

Like Kelly Handerhan explained in her video, it is a matter of point of view. The CISSP is a risk advisor while the SSCP is the tech in the trenches. The CISSP focus more on the process than the SSCP (he would be an actor in the process).

Her explanantion is in the introduction. Take 20 minutes and look at it.
  • logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes i reviewed Kelly's video after i read your post last night :) however what is unsettling for me i am not able to understand if my scores from domain test from Sybex official tests are a indication of my right mindset or my domain knowledge
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use multiple sources of reading, practice testing, and video if they are available. I can point out the similar content which acts as reinforcement and also see differences which may fill gaps.

Multiple styles in presentation and authoring have always worked for me.

I don't use flash cards. I have never personally perceived a benefit from their use.
  • rmcutlerrmcutler Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□

I was going to elaborate more in my original post but I was worried about breaching the NDA. I think SteveLavoie hit the nail on the head though. The impression I got from the Sybex practice tests is that there is a lot of focus on the technical details
  • rmcutlerrmcutler Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rmcutler wrote: »
    I was going to elaborate more in my original post but I was worried about breaching the NDA. I think SteveLavoie hit the nail on the head though. The impression I got from the Sybex practice tests is that there is a lot of focus on the technical details

Sorry my browser crashed and didn't completely restore my reply. The impression I got from the Sybex practice tests is that there is a lot of focus on the technical details but maybe I should really be looking at the SSCP instead.
    Compare some question from both exam on the same topics as there are many overlaps, and you will find some difference.