SQL journey

Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I don't mind admitting that I am an SQL noob, I've managed to get away with not using this for most of my career in server and network gigs. However, my new role has pushed a big project my way with the incentive of some MS SQL training at the end of next month but the project involves a lot of SQL work and a steep learning curve for me.

I don't want to rock up knowing nothing SQL based and would like to learn this to add to my skills, where is best to start as there are millions of vids on youtube etc. I'm looking at codecademy and some free vids on Udemy but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks all.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft Academy.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that, the virtual academy looks like there is plenty on there.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lynda.com, Pluralsight, Nuggets have some really good CBT's. I've watched them all, worth reviewing one or two. They follow the adventure works database.
  • urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've just got hold of the 70-462 materials to learn how to setup SQL servers and best practices. Looks good for sysadmin roles and not so much the programming side of things
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
    Thanks the help guys. 70-462 does sound more interesting that's for sure!
    Give 462 a go and see if anything comes out of it. At least you'll learn somethings....
  • cbtnuggetscbtnuggets Banned Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We have a bunch of resources to help you get the hang of SQL. Our trainer Garth Schulte does some awesome work going through the ins and outs through our training. Our training isn’t necessarily free, but the first week of it is.
    We do have a few additional resources on our blog you can access right now to learn a bit more about SQL, too. Garth gets us ready for SQL Server 2016 in a webinar recording, we talk about 5 underused SQL functions and we tell you 5 great reasons to learn SQL.
    Hope this helps!
  • EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    The Microsoft training book for exam 70-461 is pretty good as well. It focuses on SQL Server, but encourages the use of ANSI-standard SQL rather rather than vendor-specific syntax. SQL Server Express can be downloaded and installed for free, and contains a lot of the basic features that the full product does.

If possible, try to find out what your role in the project will be, so you can prepare better. Will you be doing SQL development, DBA work, building SSIS packages, or perhaps a mixture of all of them?
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, will check them out!
    My role in the project is typical IT, do everything! Luckily won't be developing much it's more administration based SQL reporting and querying.
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep up the learning. You will be surprised on what you all of a sudden start to love. I wanted nothing to do with databases until my company deployed a solution that had a SQL Server 7 backend. I learned and got certified SQL 7.0 administrator and the rest is history. In my new job, I miss writing queries on a daily basis. Sounds like you have a nice plan. Learn as much as you can. You never know where this road in IT is going to lead you. Keep posting back!
    Thanks for that AvgITGeek - you are right, you never know quite where you will end up in IT. I am looking forward to learning some new things though whatever happens longer term!
    How's things going with your SQL Server adventure Chev?
    Finally hit year 5 developing SQL and I still have 50 miles to go on a 100 mile hike......
    That hike just keeps on going :)
    It's going well thanks mate but not had as much time to concentrate on SQL as I would've liked. Got a lot of cool but urgent stuff going on with VMware and cisco stuff at work so practical SQL side of things isn't quite where I wanted to be. Plodding along and learning though so all good icon_cool.gif
    Haha keep on going! I've got 99 miles left to go!
    Don't we all! :)

I've had no time to study due to life and work (my senior engineer is on vacation so I'm trying to do what I can and figure out how to get the help that I need) I've been taking some notes on things to lab when I have time. I've still got to finish my taxes before I get sent to the big house for tax evasion lol!
    Land a Developer Role and you won't have that problem. As I look at my monitors and see 5 instances of SSMS up and 2 instances of SSAS..........

Oh yeah can't forget Visual Studio.......

Now I know why full stack devs end up as architects!
    No thanks on the developer role.... not my cup of tea.

Yeah so much to do a work and home, trying to squeeze time in to study can be tough but trying where I can.
    I don't blame you.

The funny thing is, from my perspective. You read all these books and train on these labs and the request in a real situation are sooooo much different than anything you learn about in the videos or books (generally speaking).

I'm finding myself now creating large master views for a supply chain team right now. Building their catalogs and reporting data models (tables/views) that fuel their base reporting. It's fun but can be stressful as FK.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't blame you.

The funny thing is, from my perspective. You read all these books and train on these labs and the request in a real situation are sooooo much different than anything you learn about in the videos or books (generally speaking).

I'm finding myself now creating large master views for a supply chain team right now. Building their catalogs and reporting data models (tables/views) that fuel their base reporting. It's fun but can be stressful as FK.

Your report doesn't match when I pivot the data from 3 weeks ago in my trusty 32-bit version of Excel... Your system is crap.
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Your report doesn't match when I pivot the data from 3 weeks ago in my trusty 32-bit version of Excel... Your system is crap.

Yeah the changing requirements are painful.

I have a OLAP cube out there for them to use. Think Pivot table on steriods. They can aggregate millions of rows in seconds and barely anyone uses it. Strange........

To your point that's SOP for me..... lol
    10:23 and counting on this query.........

I could of moved my facts and aggregated my measures in less than 3 minutes. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • BolaStephBolaSteph Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have passion working with data.With no hands on SQL experience and self study using materials online and those I could afford to buy,I recently passed MT-98-364(Database Fundamentals). I have tried to get a job but most companies are asking for 2-3 years working experiences. Now I am looking at MCSA 70-461. I need a honest advice career wise?
    You may want to start a new thread with this question.
  • oxymoron5koxymoron5k Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im going to purchase Microsoft's book today. The reviews on it are awful though. Does anyone have any experience with this book? It seems like there is room for someone to create a good book for the new SQL exam from Microsoft.

https://www.amazon.com/Exam-98-364-Database-Administration-Fundamentals/dp/0470889160
  • adaliadellaadaliadella Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=&quot]Along this journey I’ve witnessed a “closeness” rarely experienced in other communities.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A group rallies around someone in need, searching for an answer to their problems.[/FONT]