Options

Almost That Time For a Career Switch

amicmanzoamicmanzo Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm about 6 months out from my terminal leave! Time seems to be flying by fast now.
I think I'm in a good window to start prepping and doing some future job research, or maybe I'm too excited for my own good
Anyways, I would appreciate all the help I can get to start grooming my resume.
Any criticism I can get, I won't take it for granted

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_5R8KL7l_hb01pZmdETW5RcXM/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Others may disagree but I like your resume a lot. I wouldn't necessarily change it a lot. If your resume crossed my desk, I would certainly read it in it's entirety.

My only 2 cents is that because your resume has a lot of technical jargon - I don't know how that would translate with organizations that use resume screeners (i.e. talent acquisition folks).

Good luck in your job search.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not an English major, but I'm assuming that first sentence under your professional summary needs to be broken into 2 sentences.

And not a huge fan when people put certifications on a resume they are "currently working on". I think that topic has been beaten to death somewhere on this forum before. Some people see it differently.

Also, not sure how about putting every event that you attended on a resume either. Just attending things doesn't really mean anything to me personally.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put education (bachelor/masters) in it's own section. Many HR/hiring managers specifically look for those and they get lost when mixed in with the events. Onto the events, I wouldn't include those on my resume specifically but would probably those a sentence in the summary about being a continual learner and having attended various industry conferences/training events.

I also don't like the "Certified, " wording for each certification. I'm drop that and just have "2012 CompTIA Security+ CE".

I'm in the camp where I'd also exclude certifications that are in progress. I'd use that as a talking point during the interview discussion if appropriate when explaining your career progression and continued skill growth.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with the others, not bad at all, I'd read it. Break up the education, and everyone is "working on their CISSP", you either have it or you don't, saying that just seems like keyword stuffing. I might only do that if it was a hard requirement and I had a test scheduled within a month or so, I might even put the scheduled test date just to show I was serious, otherwise i'd remove it.

Also, you can remove references available by request, everyone knows that already and it's generally suggested to not bother with it any longer.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I think it's great. I disagree with NetworkNewb in your instance, because the CISSP is not any other certification and shows a lot of ambition, as does your Masters so it shows your continuing educational/certification goals, as did the training seminars. I would question why you didn't obtain your SANS certifications, though. Also, I'd swap your "References Available" section to the bottom of page 1. Not because I genuinely think it goes there, but it helps the flow of your paperwork since the Media Forensics section looks better not broken up. Just my .02
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    Personally I think it's great. I disagree with NetworkNewb in your instance, because the CISSP is not any other certification and shows a lot of ambition, as does your Masters so it shows your continuing educational/certification goals, as did the training seminars. I would question why you didn't obtain your SANS certifications, though. Also, I'd swap your "References Available" section to the bottom of page 1. Not because I genuinely think it goes there, but it helps the flow of your paperwork since the Media Forensics section looks better not broken up. Just my .02

Ambition isn't a certification.

Its kind of like putting passed the CCIE written on a resume. That could mean you are well on your way to failing the lab 6 times in a row.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I remember being in an interview while studying for the CISSP and the hiring manager asked me why I didn't put that on my resume. It never occurred to me to do that. I did always put college I was attending and expected graduation date though.

Anyway, good luck... with your skills you will have a lot of options, with your clearance you will never lack for work.

What area do you live or are looking to live?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »

Yea, the topic has been beaten back back and forth. I'm in the same way of thinking tunerX is. I don't think saying your going for something even actually mean you have ambition. It means you have intention. But definitely doesn't mean you have any knowledge on the subject or your even working hard to accomplish it.

I could also attend a dozen different events this year, doesn't mean I actually learned a single thing.

And I also think the CISSP is just another certification. I say that as I plan to start studying for it soon and plan on attempting the test within 2 to 3 months time from starting.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can understand a person's opinion on why not to put things on there, I just happen to disagree. As with most things, it's a preference. Unfortunately, it's the preference of the interviewer that we're often times unaware of that will make the difference. If one were to follow the rule of logic that nothing absolutely solid (ie no events/conventions/seminars/training classes... currently worked on certifications) should go on a resume, then you'll have a shorter, less encompassing view of the person's background. Might be necessary to leave all that out if your experience, education and certifications obtained stretches that resume too many pages all ready. While I don't think the CISSP is just another certification, based on it's demand linked to available security positions, perhaps only putting "working towards..." in relation to position-relevant preferences and requirements would be more meaningful. I know I've seen Pentester roles requesting OSCP or the ability to work-towards/gain the cert within a window of time. If I interviewed and on my resume said I was working towards it, I wouldn't think it would hurt me. Likewise with the CISSP.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks great. Recruiters are going to be drooling in anticipation when they see your clearance, experience, and certs. This will be an easy job placement/commission for them.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    I appreciate everyone's input!
    I'll definitely be tweaking my resume a bit to accommodate the structure in which job's are looking for
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No comment on the resume content necessarily but I can tell from looking at your experience and location (I live in the same area) you will have absolutely no problem finding a well paying job if you intend to stay in this area. With that said, you will have no problem finding employment in many areas that are IT hubs as well.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I dig the formatting, I think you should remove CISSP from the Cert section until you have earned it, as that is misleading to mix that in with certifications you currently hold (I assume).

Also I think "VMware Cloud" could use a certification level, as I would assume now and as an employer you took the VCA if you didn't specify the level, which is the definition of lying by omission.

Otherwise I really do think you nailed it, I like your terminology, and your events / education section a lot. Very well done!
  • Options
    @ande0255

I definitely understand your position on why I should remove it. But I also saw what others had to say too and now I'm conflicted. But you're right about the VM cert! I had it totally wrong. Was certified for VMware Certified Associate - Cloud... Thanks for pointing that out
  • Options
    LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Call me stupid for asking this, but just how smart is it to post your resume with your name and information showing that you have a TS Clearance? icon_eek.gif
    Not to mention the fact that you're a Cyber forensics technician who's worked for the govn't?

I'm not sure what they're teaching you guys when you get your clearances, but in my realm of work that would be a VERY HUGE no no!

This isn't the first time I've seen it on the forums either. Ugh. icon_rolleyes.gif

/rant
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    amicmanzo wrote: »
    @ande0255

I definitely understand your position on why I should remove it. But I also saw what others had to say too and now I'm conflicted. But you're right about the VM cert! I had it totally wrong. Was certified for VMware Certified Associate - Cloud... Thanks for pointing that out

Thank you for not taking that personally, after posting that and walking away from the PC, I was thinking to myself how much I hoped I didn't come off as a d*ck about your resume as I do really dig its style.

@Levithan I never would have noticed that had you not pointed it out, kind of a good point, though I'm not really entirely clear on the rules of divulging who you are and your clearance status on a public board.
  • Options
    @Levithan You have a very legitimate concern which as definitely something I thought about as well. I didn't recall everything but I remember as long as I wasn't compromising mission or said any information regarding classified material within my resume, I was fine. Also, most of the information I put on my resume were public tools as well. I guess mentioning the clearance level can make me a target but luckily I've been through plenty of trainings to point out suspicious activity towards me. But, I'll take your comment and change it. Thank you!
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    amicmanzo wrote: »
    @Levithan You have a very legitimate concern which as definitely something I thought about as well. I didn't recall everything but I remember as long as I wasn't compromising mission or said any information regarding classified material within my resume, I was fine. Also, most of the information I put on my resume were public tools as well. I guess mentioning the clearance level can make me a target but luckily I've been through plenty of trainings to point out suspicious activity towards me. But, I'll take your comment and change it. Thank you!

Here is the NSAs take on listing your clearance level and type with polygraph information on a resume.

https://www.nsa.gov/resources/everyone/prepub/assets/files/resume-dos-donts.pdf

Having a clearance, background investigation, or polygraph is not classified information. You can leave it out when posting to public forums for your own security but if you are submitting for a job where it is required you will probably want to list it.
  • Options
    tunerX wrote: »
    Here is the NSAs take on listing your clearance level and type with polygraph information on a resume.

https://www.nsa.gov/resources/everyone/prepub/assets/files/resume-dos-donts.pdf

Having a clearance, background investigation, or polygraph is not classified information. You can leave it out when posting to public forums for your own security but if you are submitting for a job where it is required you will probably want to list it.

Thanks for that post!
    Nice to know I kept everything within standards