Best Practice Tests?

rmcutlerrmcutler Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys. I've been studying for the CISSP for the last 2 months and my test is in a week and a half. I've read the ISC2 Official Study Guide by Sybex cover to cover and made hundreds of my own flashcards in the process of reading. For the last week I've been taking every practice quiz I can find including buying the Sybex Official Practice Test book as well as the Practice Exams book by Shon Harris. I'm starting to get a little concerned about the different results I'm seeing. I tend to do very well on the Sybex practice questions (~80%) but when it comes to the Shon Harris questions, I'm having some trouble (~50%).

I guess my big question is what are the real exam question like? Sybex says it's the "official" study guide and "official" practice test so is that an accurate representation of the test for the most part? Or should I maybe reschedule my test and read a different study guide?

I've read through a lot of other posts on here to see what people recommend and I've seen several that say Sybex is very complete in it's coverage of topics but not doing well on a different practice exam is making me nervous.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rmcutler wrote: »
    Hey Guys. I've been studying for the CISSP for the last 2 months and my test is in a week and a half. I've read the ISC2 Official Study Guide by Sybex cover to cover and made hundreds of my own flashcards in the process of reading. For the last week I've been taking every practice quiz I can find including buying the Sybex Official Practice Test book as well as the Practice Exams book by Shon Harris. I'm starting to get a little concerned about the different results I'm seeing. I tend to do very well on the Sybex practice questions (~80%) but when it comes to the Shon Harris questions, I'm having some trouble (~50%).

I guess my big question is what are the real exam question like? Sybex says it's the "official" study guide and "official" practice test so is that an accurate representation of the test for the most part? Or should I maybe reschedule my test and read a different study guide?

I've read through a lot of other posts on here to see what people recommend and I've seen several that say Sybex is very complete in it's coverage of topics but not doing well on a different practice exam is making me nervous.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have heard that the Sybex exams are very good and people who are getting 80% or more in Sybex have passed the real exam. I know how you feel though I have my exam in two weeks. I'm using transcender exams and took my first full exam (250 questions) and got 82% and 78%. My plan is take all 4 transcender exams and score within the 90's and then use the 4 Sybex exams as mock exams for the real thing. If I get over 80% on the Sybex questions first of seeing the questions then I will give it a shot. If not then I will re-schedule. I have been studying since October, but do have 1 year old twins and a 4 year old, so its been hard going. have you done any of the videos, or just book and questions? Good luck with the exam I look forward to seeing your result. It would good to get some feedback on the practice questions you felt were good for the exams
  • Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure if you want to spend any more $ or even have the time, but I like the Boson practice exams. They line up with Conrad and ISC2 books and the questions *seem* to be a decent representation of the exam. The questions all have very detailed explanations. When I get one wrong, I look up the section(s) in the Conrad book and go over them.

They have about a 750 question pool and you can get it for around $85 with a discount code. I take the text on April 20th and have been very pleased with their test engine.
  • massiramonesmassiramones Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm looking for the same, I have been through some videos , but I really need some tests to do and hopefully they look like the real exam. I'm confident enough with my knowledge , even tho would be better to be prepared on what will be the real exam. it's 600 bucks man! If you have any link that could help please share also with me. Lotsof luck for us!
  • OztexsOztexs Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    in one of the posts here it was mentioned there is Complete CISSP Official (ISC) 2 Practice Tests (800 questions) .. anyone else have any exp in that one ?
  • rmcutlerrmcutler Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oztexs wrote: »
    in one of the posts here it was mentioned there is Complete CISSP Official (ISC) 2 Practice Tests (800 questions) .. anyone else have any exp in that one ?

That's what I used and failed with a 695 today. I made another post about it with more details.
  • OztexsOztexs Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ohh man .. thats cruel 695 !

well i just got the sybex 7th edition and practice book .. i suppose ill stick with that for now !
  • Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rmcutler wrote: »
    That's what I used and failed with a 695 today. I made another post about it with more details.

I am totally sick reading that. Sounds like you were 1 question away. What was your weak area(s) on your print out?

Didn't see another post from you but would definitely be interested in hearing about your experience. I'd strongly recommend (if possible and you have the time & $) to re-schedule and re-take on Day 30. Hammer your weak areas and bring home an "I passed" thread.
  • redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Between CCCure and the Official Sybex Practice Tests book, I did about 2000 questions combined. I never did the domain-specific questions in the book, only the 2 (250q) full tests. I passed yesterday and I don't think the exam questions were out of line with either of them, except for maybe a few more scenario based 2-4q groupings than I expected.

I was testing in the mid-high 70s after starting off with Conrad 11th Hour. Read the full Sybex Official, listened to Cybrary MP3s on my way to work, and the last ~1500 questions or so I was testing in the 80-85% range.

Stick with it, you're close.
  • d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So sorry to hear that. I think you should re-book within 30 days and sit for it. You'll do it!
  • d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    redworld wrote: »
    Between CCCure and the Official Sybex Practice Tests book, I did about 2000 questions combined. I never did the domain-specific questions in the book, only the 2 (250q) full tests. I passed yesterday and I don't think the exam questions were out of line with either of them, except for maybe a few more scenario based 2-4q groupings than I expected.

I was testing in the mid-high 70s after starting off with Conrad 11th Hour. Read the full Sybex Official, listened to Cybrary MP3s on my way to work, and the last ~1500 questions or so I was testing in the 80-85% range.

Stick with it, you're close.

Thanks for confirming your approach. I'm using exactly the same materials. But have started with lower 70s in cccure engine. I have less than 3 weeks left. Do you think I should go for it? I'm thinking if I can't get my score up to 80-85% then I'll reschedule...
  • uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Official Sybex Practice Tests and Transcender
  • Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took Official Sybex Practice Tests and only scored 60% on each, and just passed the CISSP. I felt the Sybex Practice Tests were harder.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    The Shon Harris tests go too deep into some of the topics.