Looking for next certification to study

NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm wrapping up my studying my Security+ studying and I'm looking for my next certification. I'm trying to decide between CCSK and CCSP. I don't have any experience supporting the Cloud and I know it securing it is important.

I have read quite a few threads discussing these exams and I'm trying to determine if I should go with the CCSK from CSA first and then the CCSP or if I should just go for the CCSP exam.

Any advice is most welcome and thank you in advance.

Leigh

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

Comments

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not CISSP? It is well recognised and is a requirement for most DoD 8570.1 roles given your goal to get back into defense as per your profile.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the CCSK is fairly easy and would probably prepare you better for the CCSP. But than your paying like $350 for the exam (I believe that was the cost). If your planning on going for the CCSP soon I don't think the CCSK is necessary though. It pretty much comes down to if you want to pay the extra $350 for the extra certification credentials. Is it worth it for that reason? I have no idea. I took it, but I'm not sure if/when I plan on going for the CCSP.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do the CISSP before then CCSP as both required 5 year exp
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are trying to pick CCSK vs CCSP. I would suggest CCSP. I was in a similiar situation as you are now when i took the exam. CCSK exams has a big overlap with the CCSP, with CCSP having the ISC2 spin on it with some sprinkles of CISSP. Please remember that CSA and ISC2 collaborated together to create the CCSP, so in that sense one can say that CCSP is the evolution of CCSK. So since both exams are very similiar, i would do the CCSP since ISC2 is also more well known as an organization.
  • djcarterdjcarter Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    If you are trying to pick CCSK vs CCSP. I would suggest CCSP. I was in a similiar situation as you are now when i took the exam. CCSK exams has a big overlap with the CCSP, with CCSP having the ISC2 spin on it with some sprinkles of CISSP. Please remember that CSA and ISC2 collaborated together to create the CCSP, so in that sense one can say that CCSP is the evolution of CCSK. So since both exams are very similiar, i would do the CCSP since ISC2 is also more well known as an organization.

I completely agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the CCSK ends up being phased out since CSA and ISC2 worked together on the CCSP, so for that reason and others mentioned I would certainly go for the CCSP
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not meet all the requirements for the CCSP, I think this means that when I pass this exam I will be an "Associate of ISC2" until I meet all the requirements.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    I would ask, what is your career goal? Frankly, the CCSP, while nice is fairly new, and not necessarily proven in the job market. By far, the CISSP will open more doors and get you past more HR screenings than either the CCSP, or the CCSK. It is also a more logical next step in your move up from the Security+. After the CISSP, one of the others would make more sense from a strategy perspective.
    I would do the CISSP before then CCSP as both required 5 year exp

CCSP just requires 3 years in 1 one of their CCSP domains. And 5 years in general IT experience.

CISSP requires 5 years experience in 2 of their CISSP domains.

Your right in saying 5 years experience for both, but they are different kinds of experience. Each CCSP domain experience would probably count towards the CISSP domains, but not all CISSP domain experience would count towards the CCSP domains.
    My goal is to work in Information Security in Incident Handling as my first choice. My second choice is Information Assurance.

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not meet all the requirements for the CCSP, I think this means that when I pass this exam I will be an "Associate of ISC2" until I meet all the requirements.

You probably meet the requirements for CISSP; your navy and sysadmin/netadmin experience should fit into at least 2 of the 8 CISSP domains. Security+ provides 1-year experience waiver out of the 5 years.

As TankerT mentioned, CISSP will open more doors to Incident Handling and Information Assurance jobs than CCSP. And not forgetting DoD 8570. Do a CISSP and CCSP search on Indeed, LinkedIn Jobs or any job portal and compare the search results.

Suggest you do CISSP first and CCSP later. Your CISSP can substitute for entire CCSP 5 year experience requirement.
    I was an IT3 in the Navy, but did primarily desktop support. I think you've helped me make up my mind. I'll start studying for my CISSP when I pass my Security+.

Thank you!

• djcarterdjcarter Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was an IT3 in the Navy, but did primarily desktop support. I think you've helped me make up my mind. I'll start studying for my CISSP when I pass my Security+.

Thank you!

The good thing is also if you get your CISSP, that fulfills the entire requirements for the CCSP as well! I would definitely agree though, the CISSP will be the most valuable and worthwile for your time and energy, the CCSP is much more niche but the content will be very valuable to master as more things move to the cloud.
    djcarter wrote: »
    the CISSP will be the most valuable and worthwile for your time and energy

Thanks for the tip, was just about to buy your book but will hold off on that now. icon_wink.gif
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Instead of doing the Sec+ exam, I would suggest you do the SSCP exam. Both exam are very similar and the SSCP is from ISC2. As Sec+, SSCP count as 1 year experience waiver.