Whoa! Another Job offer!

Ok well you guys may remember me turning down the ISP help desk position due to an uncertain schedule and working holidays even with a 1.25/hour raise.

However, I just now got offered a job as a PC tech with a local company who handles the communication of front end sales to accounting software. Kind of like a go between. It would be M-F essentially, with a 1st, unless some type of drastic emergency came up. Sounds awesome, but its now a 1$/hour pay CUT.

Do you think this would be a good stepping stone to get into network admin type or move onto help desk in 6 months - a year if I dont move up with said company? They are a microsoft partner, and said he would pay for my test if I self studied, so someone helping pay for 200$ per test would be nice. I did notice they used some Cisco, but Im not sure if I would get a chance to get into it.(which is what I want to do.)

Thanks!
70-291 Next....

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Experience is always a good thing. I don't remember if you said you were currently working in IT or if you were in another field. If you think you'll get some experience, I say go for it. Even if you don't think it will be an ideal situation, it's something to do until you can find yourself a better place to work.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    I currently do medical billing, which is getting me nowhere in IT. I dont think 1$ is going to kill me, I just dont want to take a job, and leave a place where I have some flexibility to get time off for interviews for the jobs I want to have. Did I say that right?
    70-291 Next....
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think I understand what you mean. You don't want to leave a relatively safe place that you know you're okay with for one that may or may not give you the experience you need; and with a pay cut, no less. It's a tough choice. You have to weigh your options and see if you want to take the risk, or wait for something else to come along while you're working. Are you planning on any more certs?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I currently do medical billing, which is getting me nowhere in IT. I dont think 1$ is going to kill me, I just dont want to take a job, and leave a place where I have some flexibility to get time off for interviews for the jobs I want to have. Did I say that right?
    If you bust your balls and take a test every month, to month and a half... The amount they are paying for your exams will equal your pay cut.
    See if he'll throw in the study materials and jump at it.

Experience in the sector is the only way to network. You will come across other job opportunities from this.

I've always paid for my own certs and study material... but when it comes down to discuss salary I always gain on my knowledge moreso than them paying for exams. Double digit increases :)
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    I do plan on going for a MCSA within the next year hopefully. Im going for a meet & greet with a majority of the company today, so Ill talk to the guy alittle more and try and get a more info on the growth potenial. The owner basically told me "make yourself more valuable, and youll make more." Which isnt bad, there a MS partner so just gaining a MCP to help them maintain the status would help alittle.
    70-291 Next....
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do what you gotta do to get to the next step. I would at least try to hit them up to match your current wages.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...