Successfully passed C|EH - My professional opinion on ECCouncil and IT Cert Industry

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Just walked out of the testing center with a pass for C|EH v9 (I guess this is the correct version...). I wasn't even going to test for this, as my wife talked me into it as the voucher was going to expire as of today and it was $700 USD to take the test. I'm currently working on RHCSA for RHEL7 and will test in the next few weeks.

I honestly felt while taking the exam, I was taking another Security+ exam. I don't have any other way to explain it, other then ECCouncil and others hype this exam to be more than it is.

Background: Last year my boss came to me and said I could go to IT training from a list he had. There was only Microsoft, CompTIA, and C|EH to pick from, so I picked C|EH, which was a 5 day bootcamp, which was online.

I got the related C|EH books via US Mail, before the class started and while they are slick looking and thick, there are basically a bunch of powerpoint slides in a book. How is anybody going to learn pen-testing from this? I know I didn't.

The bootcamp online course was an instructor basically reading the powerpoint slides from the book to us verbatim and I found it very difficult to pay attention. I know I wasn't the only one having difficulties paying attention.

I also asked the instructor if we had access to a demo test to prepare for the C|EH, and he sent us a URL, and he stated it was only for the class or those taking the C|EH bootcamp. However later I figured out by googling around that this URL is available to anyone and everyone with a web browser and computer.

We did have access to online labs, with various VM to use the tools discussed in the books, however we only had 6 months of access. Probably not enough time to get really good with these tools. I know I'm not a skilled or EL13T H@CK0r after this 6 months.

Dealing with ECCouncil has been at best, unprofessional. Support must be based in India, as I would ask questions and not get answers I needed and it took me going back and forth 11 times before I finally got the answer I needed to book my exam.

At the Perason Vue test center this morning looked like a janitors closet and their computer system wouldn't come up, so I wasted time waiting in the waiting room...

Finally, there has to be a better way to get folks training in IT to get the skills they need to advance their career or get started in a IT career. As I go further down this trail, I'm certain this cert industry is a industrial complex. Look at ECCouncil and all of the certs, seminars and cons they offer. I know I can't be the only one thinking this...
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was seriously underwhelmed by the CEH and EC|Council in general. Their communications and many other aspects come off as unprofessional. While it's a nice checkbox to have for jobs, I don't put a lot of value into the CEH or the CHFI. Very basic certifications from a certifying company.

Some of their correspondence and other written materials come off as bad Word documents that someone made on a weekend.

Good base knowledge to have, a decent foundation, but nothing to really brag about, IMO. It's an expensive cert with a better reputation than it deserves.

The testing centers are all on their own, though. No fault of EC|Council there. The one I go to is very nice, clean, quiet, and a great place. I've been to some real 'shady' ones in the past, though.

I know there is a poster that will chime in with an even worse review, though. I like him. :D
  • teawreckzteawreckz Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, that just answered whether I wanted to go for CEH....lol.

That's disappointing
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    teawreckz wrote: »
    Well, that just answered whether I wanted to go for CEH....lol.

That's disappointing

Hey, that is the purpose of this site.

To freely share and exchange information on these certs, without it being censored, so people don't waste time/money on a worthless piece of paper, as they climb the corporate ladder.

All I did was waste time as it was paid for by work...
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Although I agree with you guys about EC-Council and the CEH, it still did help me in getting a job in security. I have been asked about it in interviews and I have been contacted a few times by recruiters just because I had CEH listed in my resume.
    For those who are interested, here is the C|EH demo:

https://www.eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/ceh-assessment/

-unknown

LOL! Surprised this thread didn't go down the memory hole too...Good read.

I just got my official, glossy certification in the mail. Got a letter with it too saying I could apply the C|EH towards a Masters thru ECCouncil. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have no doubt now, the IT Cert industrial complex is real.

-unknown
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I have no doubt now, the IT Cert industrial complex is real.
    +1

seven characters