Options

New here looking for advice about the CompTIA A+ 902

christopher583christopher583 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI, I have been working in the warehouse environment for 5 years now and now I am interested in breaking into the IT field.

I have heard from many different sources and articles online that it is not easy to break into the IT field without more than 2 years experience under your belt and/or a bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I don't have that, but what I do have is some personal experience fixing computer hardware.

I just recently replaced a motherboard in a Dell Laptop and that was pretty difficult. I also replaced my friend's Laptop's LCD screen which was a bit easier than replacing a motherboard. I haven't built my own personal computer but I have taken apart one desktop tower several times. I am not interested in going to college and in my opinion wasting money.

I am interested in obtaining my IT Certifications like the CompTIA A+. I just passed the 220-901 exam and I am currently preparing for the 902. I do not like to learn through a text book so I am using The Professor Messer CompTIA A+ training videos to prepare for the 2nd exam.

Is it worth getting the CompTIA A+ to break into the IT Networking Field for somebody who only has warehouse experience and less than 1 year of personal computer repair?

What kind of job do I search for after getting the certification?

What is the Certification career path you would recommend to become a Network Administrator?

How do I get help desk experience when they require more than 2 years of help desk?

In your opinion what is the best way to prepare for the 220-902 exam?
: I already have certblaster Practice exams and practice exams on my phone.

Also I have no desire to go to college, but I have heard of people who can break into this field and be successful at it without a college degree. My main goal is become a Network Administrator.

Comments

• Options
    codingfanaticcodingfanatic Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you are on the right track. You already have some experience and an interest in the field. That coupled with the right study methods will net you any certification you desire. Keep practicing troubleshooting with friends, family, colleagues, etc and you'll get the hang of things.

Is it worth getting the CompTIA A+ to break into the IT Networking Field for somebody who only has warehouse experience and less than 1 year of personal computer repair?
    Definitely. It's not required, but it will give you experience with cert preparation and give you a strong understanding of troubleshooting various computers and mobile devices.

What kind of job do I search for after getting the certification?
    Help Desk Support is the majority of what I've seen. I'm currently working in this area myself. While I'm also pursuing my A+ cert, this job has taught me much about troubleshooting various devices. Also, it's worth noting that you won't apply the same methods at every company. At my job, we don't do time consuming repairs like LCD or mobo replacement. In fact, many companies have a company that handles it separately as to save the money required to pay an in-house help desk person for replacing a mobo for 2 hours.

What is the Certification career path you would recommend to become a Network Administrator?
    A+ to Network+ is fine. My supervisor is our Network Admin and he got his A+ last summer before pursuing his Network+.

How do I get help desk experience when they require more than 2 years of help desk?
    Look for small companies hiring temporary IT folks, do your own troubleshooting with family and people in your network, attend meetups for IT folks. All this can be translated as "experience". Just put yourself out there and you'll find it. I'm sure you have older family members or even same age associates who need anti-virus on their phones, as well as regular maintenance. Seek and ye shall find.

In your opinion what is the best way to prepare for the 220-902 exam?
    Go to the CompTIA website and download the learning objectives for the exam. Research each section until you're comfortable with the material. DO NOT RUSH! Take time and be sure you understand.

Also I have no desire to go to college, but I have heard of people who can break into this field and be successful at it without a college degree. My main goal is become a Network Administrator.
    I have my Associate's and I'm never going back. Keep fighting the good fight. Peace.

"Looks can only get you so far, but good manners can take you around the world."

Richard
    Aspiring Software Developer and Computer Technician
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/rclarkecf
    Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ambitouscm