Options

Sitting for Sec+ Tomorrow

jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
Just wanted to add one more of these threads...

Laid off three weeks ago, and the job search is making it pretty clear that Security+ is a minimum credential. I have been in the infosec field for 5 years, with the last two being more formally.

Following advice from here, I went with Darril Gibson's book (GCGA) as well as the mobile app. I started with a baseline of 76% on the pre-assessment. It was pretty clear that my knowledge was strong in areas I had dealt with, but patchy in less familiar territory. I imagine that is a familiar place for many.

I am now hitting 90-100% on the practices, with most of the misses being bad clicks, rather than bad knowledge. Tonight, I will do a few passes through the "Think you are ready?" random quizzes, and then tomorrow, I sit for the exam.

Just wanted to add on to the kudos others have given to Darril for his book, the mobile app and the GCGAPremium site. They have been helpful, informative and easy to read. It doesn't hurt that he is a local too. (Hampton, VA here.)

Wish me luck tomorrow morning!

Comments

• Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Well, I'm sure you passed but share!
  • Options
    jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I passed!

There were some questions that seemed to come out of left field. Darril's guidance of understand why the right answers are right and the wrong answers are wrong was definitely helpful. What I knew, I knew well. That was definitely thanks to the book. It also helped me work through the "left field" questions. End result was a 781. Not bad for a couple weeks of studying.

Mr. Gibson, if you want to wander through the tunnel, I owe you a drink or several.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    dialecticaldialectical Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright, way to go! I know plenty of people struggling with this right now.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Glad you made it. :)
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Congrats, welcome to the club!