help deciding what to do...

Well there has probably been a million posts like this one, but here goes anyway.

currently im working towards my MCSE:security in windows 2000, but then im not sure what i want to do next i.e. should i continue with the ms certs or go on to Cisco certs as from reading the forums i do like the sound of the cisco certs, i know i want to be involved in security which ether path i choose.

So basically my question is what certs should i do after the mcse stuff, i currently work as a network admin on a very low wage so this is all going towards getting a better job. :D
Studying 70-292.
Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.

Comments

• TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Just to let you know... Microsoft has a new operating system coming out. Chances are that your 2k cert won't be around much longer. You may want to consider taking the two upgrade exams to become 2k3.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    already thought of that, but ms give atleast a years notice before they cancel exams so i have a while yet to finish my 2000 track and do the upgrade, then to try and decide what to do next.
    Studying 70-292.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Next thing to do is work on experience.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    i have 3 years experiance as a desktop support/network admin role.

But not much experiance in security so im hoping getting a few certs in security will open up a few jobs i could apply for.
    Studying 70-292.