Do you study according to completing objectives or based on time slots?

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I've found that during my previous studies I studied based on objectives (e.g. complete chapter 12 today) and I'm wondering what strategies everyone else use when studying? I found that with studying objectives I could get caught out when I had a particularly long chapter or difficult content. With no time pressure either (e.g. I'll get 3 hours of study today and stop) I could end up blowing out my time because I had no clear time goal.

What's your personal strategy?

Currently reading: http://hackmystudy.com/how-to-manage-your-time-effectively-as-a-student/

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To the best of my ability, I am objective-based. I don't like stopping in the middle of something. Since I study at night from about 9p - 12a, I will usually do one or two chapters, and then quit regardless of the time. If I start getting tired, I will at least finish a paragraph, even though I would rather keep going. Time-based gives me too many reasons to procrastinate (I need to check up on the dogs/cats, I need to check for software updates, etc...) Objectives-based FORCES me to be mindful about wasting time.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually have a main study resource that I try to study for 30 minutes once or twice a day. Then I'll have supplementary materials like simulators, practice exams from the book used as the main source of study, etc. Usually once I do all of the materials associated with those items I'm tired of studying and just book the exam and take it. Ly studying tends to be very touch and go until I reach a point where I just want to knock it out at which point that's what I concentrate on for 3-4 weeks. I'm still working on trying to stay consistent with studying.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Objectives. If I did it by timeslot I might not have ever finished subnetting lol. That thing needs constant attention!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    my strategy: Study when I have time, quit when I'm tired or have more important things to do. Don't like setting times or objectives.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've done both and I can probably say objectives is better for me. You can get general idea of how much time a topic may take to cover, and alot the time to cover that topic. So if I think CCNA level EIGRP may take me 2-3 hours I schedule that time for it. If I complete it faster, I use that extra time to make sure my notes are good, do some flash cards or extra labs. If i'm all set and still have extra time I try to get some more rest, since I study late at night. I won't just hop onto the next topic because I had study time left over, I like to digest the material :)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Objective/target based seems to work better, specially when there is a strong motivation.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE