Passed C|EH today, and you definitely can too!

Shane2Shane2 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed CEH today, they didn't provide a score, but I'm guessing in the 90's. All multiple choice 1 out of 4, with 2 being obviously wrong.

I studied for about 3 months, but after sitting the exam, it should be EASILY passable in a month.

Materials Used

I used the AIO, Oriyano, SKillset(Free), and Boson. I also created a lab with VM workstation, and downloaded Vulnhub VMs, I followed walkthroughs from the site.

If I were starting from scratch again with what I know now, I would use Oriyano, skillset, and Boson.

Skillset and Boson were both harder than the actual test.

Things you need to know

NMAP switches and their output (My lab really helped with these).

The big recent exploits. (Shellshock, POODLE, Heartbleed).

Common port numbers and protocols.

XOR operation.

Encryption and Hashes.

If you know NMAP commands, recent exploits, asymmetric/symmetric encryption, and your the differences in your Hash algorithms, you will pass this test.

Summary

Don't worry, just take the test. I was prepared at 1 month in, I wish I would have taken it then.

Cheers!

Comments

• briancam1briancam1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    is the CEH V10 coming out soon? thanks
  • northmanianorthmania Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • kye.daveykye.davey Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Congrads on the pass.

Exactly, as someone else said on this forum..."its ECCouncil, don't over think it."
    Shane2 wrote: »

Summary

Don't worry, just take the test. I was prepared at 1 month in, I wish I would have taken it then.

Cheers!
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. I'm working my way through the Matt Walker book now myself.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats.

"XOR operation."
    its been a couple of years since i did the exam. Never had any XOR operation questions and I don't remember any in my study material.
    is This new? I have a back ground in computer science so i'm comfortable with XORs just don't recall seeing anything on it.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats!

For me, going through the books was doing a lot of review (some of those tools are the same ones from the early/mid 90's). Even then, with some experience, it's not anything too bad. I thought "This is it?". I felt like I was underestimating the exam. I was being cocky. Something. So, I studied deeper and did more studying. Eventually, I took the exam. That was it. If you have some experience and read a book, you'll be fine. The Sec+ is an excellent starting point and will help with 70% of the questions. So, with a little studying - be cocky. You're smart enough for the exam, and you can do it!

As an aside - the CHFI is extremely easy after the CEH. Most of the questions are very similar and the few that aren't are pretty common sense if you think about it.
  • xcopyxcopy Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice work, studying for the CEHv9 now. I bought my ECC voucher yesterday and I'll take within a week. Thanks for the tips.
    C|EH, CASP, C|DNA, ITIL, VCP6, MCITP:EA + others
  • scenicroutescenicroute Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm planning on taking it sometime this month. Been going through CBT Nuggets w/ Keith Barker recently and still need to do Boson.
  • Shane2Shane2 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Quick update: I got an email this morning saying I was selected for employment audit and resume check.

I supplied them with my resume, and a brief explain of what I studied, and my exam was released from the audit team.

I'm now just waiting to receive an email from Aspen. I am officially certified.
  • vikibrooksvikibrooks Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im having next month exam....im just preparing for it using ecc ilabs n coursewares n some mock tests ,..is this enough???..will i pass the exam.?

1. After finishing n getting certified what should i do?

2. What jobs should i go for n which companies??
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing. I'm currently studying for this exam.

You said your lab really helped you with the NMAP switches and output. Can you give me some details of how your lab is setup? CBT Nuggets sets up a lab in their CEHv9 course so I set my lab up like theirs. I'm just trying to get some insight of how you did yours since you feel like it really helped.

Thanks.
    I have a Dell XPS 15 and VM workstation.

I have my Kali VM and then just downloaded a few vulnhub.com VMs. Nothing special.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not OP, but I set up a very simple lab myself. 2 older Lenovo desktops with 16GB RAM each (i5 CPU's). Not great, but they weren't doing anything other that sitting there. Installed Windows 7 (license from the Lenovo box). I set up VirtualBox on each machine. Then, Windows XP and Windows 7 VM's and a Server 2012 VM. A couple Linux VM's from Vulnhub. Then, a laptop with Kali (along with Nessus) and an old Linksys WRT54G with WEP (very insecure).

Then, play. Play with the various tools. Break into the wireless, nmap/zenmap, Nessus, Metasploit... A lot of it's not on the CEH, but when you're playing around, it gets fun and you do a whole lot more. nmap is a big one on the CEH so spend some time with that. Learning the switches and the output.

But, that lab will help you pass the CEH, and it will let you play around and have a lot of fun.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.
  • khaledit2015khaledit2015 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Shane @ For sharing your information
  • BogeyhunterBogeyhunter Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the free Skillset exam. It was stupid easy. Is that any indication of the actual Exam?
  • scenicroutescenicroute Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not really sure what to expect from the actual exam. I found the EC Council practice exam more difficult than the Boson exams, and people say the Boson exams are more difficult than the actual exam.
    I'm not really sure what to expect from the actual exam. I found the EC Council practice exam more difficult than the Boson exams, and people say the Boson exams are more difficult than the actual exam.

Can you tell me what nmap switch is used for operating system detection?

Can you tell me what services use port 445? how about 514?

What is a rainbow table?

If you can answer these questions, and you have retained your Sec+ knowledge, you can pass this test.

It took me <25 minutes, and I passed with a 96. And I ain't the smartest guy in this thread.

You got this!

PS: I never got more than a 75 on the Boson exams.
  • CISSPorBustCISSPorBust Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! This is one I want to get.
  • jmb19jmb19 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'll be adding some of these resources to my list.
  • NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□