Failed CompTIA Network+

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I failed the Net+ with a 669 today. Used Mike Meyer's book, Professor Messer videos, Techtarget, and CompTIA exam objectives.

Almost nothing I studied was on the test. In fact I had to reread most of the questions multiple times to even formulate a response.

Should I study for and take the Net+ again or should I just go for the CCENT?

Anyone else take the Net+ recently and have the same experience as me?

I know VPN's, TCP/IP, Subnet, Firewalls everything. There was just none of it on the test.
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, unless it is a requirement at work, I would just move on the CCENT. It will likely give you more bang for your buck, seeing as the entire CCNA is only $36 more than the Network+ exam.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd ask what questions were on the test, cause I'm definitely curious what type of questions they are asking if it is not listed on the Net+ objectives sheet, but that would be against their terms.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know everything on the exam objectives sheet. I read the book, watched all the Pluralsight videos (forgot to mention) watched all the Messer videos twice and for 3 days before the test I spent 10 hours a day literally Techtargetting and Wiki'ing every single exam objective again for really quick overviews to make sure I knew the material.

I wrote every port every day. I used San Bernadino's subnet practice about 20 times (subnetting is easy it's a joke).

The questions were very difficult to comprehend. Mind you I know Visual basic and Python on a novice level, I use Linux Kali on a novice level and have been building gaming computers since I discovered Doom at 8 years old.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    I am going the cisco route now. I may still go for the Security+ as I have heard that it actually has solid ROI in todays market.

Is that true or just get the CCENT?

I promise you if this was the 501 I would have scored in the high 90's.
    The questions were very difficult to comprehend. Mind you I know Visual basic and Python on a novice level, I use Linux Kali on a novice level and have been building gaming computers since I discovered Doom at 8 years old.

Well now I know the test must be joke since you know some Linux, some programming, and how to put a computer together. Good luck with your next test.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    That sucks to put all that time into it, out of curiosity, could you phrase what type of questions you are getting without saying like an exact question from the test (I'm sure Comptia has a non-disclosure agreement).

I'd definitely get CCENT. And yes once you know binary math, subnetting and all related topics like VLSM and Route Summary is no problem.
    Here is my summary of 85% of the questions....

The questions were all 3-6 or 7 sentence paragraphs giving odd you scenario's. As others have stated the questions were not direct but best guesses.

It's hard for me to frame the questions but a lot of them you have to have experience in order to answer.

I can't believe I came that close to passing halfway through the test I almost walked away from it but finished out of determination.

I must have guessed correctly a lot.
    My point is that I have a background in computers and am not a total newb.
  • sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the N10-006 when they first switched to it because I missed the N10-005 deadline. That test was a beast. I passed, not amazingly but not barely. Marginally.

Use the knowledge you gained from studying and go straight for the CCENT then the CCNA. It will make both of those tests much easier when you study them. It's essentially Network+ plus Cisco commands.
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to discredit your studying and resources you used, but I'm guessing the questions were probably structured as "best" option and similar. Although there may be more than one right answer, the question looks for the best/most efficient answer. Which sucks because technically you're right by answering a question you know may be right but may not be the best given the scenario. After all of that, I would assume(no disrespect) that you may have memorized a lot of the concepts but may not have a thorough understanding of the logic. This is what kind of scares me about the test because I'm currently studying for it and I'm stressing myself out more about trying to understand the logic of it. Good luck with whatever route you decide to go with your certs.
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP, sorry for your bad luck with Net+. It's always disappointing to put a lot of effort into preparing and then do badly. Hopefully even that was a learning experience, though.

My 2 cents on whether you should try again or go on to CCENT: it's hard to answer that question without knowing WHY you were pursuing Net+ in the first place. Look at the reasons you were trying to get that certification and see if they still apply. And do those reasons apply to CCENT? Only you know your circumstances for sure.

Personally, I think you've made a learning investment that you can build on. Now that you've seen the test, you can tailor your preparation to tie things up. Meanwhile, if you go straight to CCENT you're in the blind again, not truly knowing what to expect until you take the test. Maybe it'll be easier, maybe it won't. But the Net+ is a known to you now, and I'd probably want to give that another shot before venturing off into the unknown.

Just my 2 cents.
    Joe
    AverageJoe wrote: »
    OP, sorry for your bad luck with Net+. It's always disappointing to put a lot of effort into preparing and then do badly. Hopefully even that was a learning experience, though.

My 2 cents on whether you should try again or go on to CCENT: it's hard to answer that question without knowing WHY you were pursuing Net+ in the first place. Look at the reasons you were trying to get that certification and see if they still apply. And do those reasons apply to CCENT? Only you know your circumstances for sure.

Personally, I think you've made a learning investment that you can build on. Now that you've seen the test, you can tailor your preparation to tie things up. Meanwhile, if you go straight to CCENT you're in the blind again, not truly knowing what to expect until you take the test. Maybe it'll be easier, maybe it won't. But the Net+ is a known to you now, and I'd probably want to give that another shot before venturing off into the unknown.

Just my 2 cents.
    Joe

Thanks for the input. Something to think about.. I really only missed it essentially by a few questions.

Appreciate it.
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    I think you can do it if you keep trying. That was my first IT certification and I fail..... 3 times before I made it. I also feel the same way you did when i failed but each time I took the test I did better and learn from my mistakes, and finally did it. You can do it! :) Don't quit now Pal. You must "fail forward".
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took it in 2010 (scored 796) when it was still lifetime and fortunately I passed without studying for it. I was just about to graduate from college and was able to pass just off my classroom knowledge but had I known about this site or any other available study materials I would have used them. But based on what all I have read here I would probably skip Net+ and go with a Cisco cert. I really don't think my Net+ has ever really helped me. My first job after getting it I really don't think anyone there knew what Net+ was (including my boss, the IT Manager) and my current job they were only concerned about my computer forensics & security degree. They never even questioned my A+ or Net+. If I had to do it over again I would definitely spend that time and money on something other than Net+.

Good luck!
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I took it in 2010 (scored 796) when it was still lifetime and fortunately I passed without studying for it. I was just about to graduate from college and was able to pass just off my classroom knowledge but had I known about this site or any other available study materials I would have used them. But based on what all I have read here I would probably skip Net+ and go with a Cisco cert. I really don't think my Net+ has ever really helped me. My first job after getting it I really don't think anyone there knew what Net+ was (including my boss, the IT Manager) and my current job they were only concerned about my computer forensics & security degree. They never even questioned my A+ or Net+. If I had to do it over again I would definitely spend that time and money on something other than Net+.

Good luck!

What about taking the Security route? Sec+ good start?
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long did you study for the exam?
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What about taking the Security route? Sec+ good start?
    What is your background? Sec+ is an entry level security cert and one I feel is a good one to have (I feel everyone working in IT should have this one). If you want to work in security then the SSCP may be a better choice than Sec+ but I have never taken the SSCP so not that familiar with it. Either one of these would be a good start. You will likely need a few years of IT experience before breaking into the security sector too. It is very difficult to step directly into security.
    Sec+ is a good one to have. I got that before I got Net+ or SSCP. There is some overlap between Net+ and Sec+, so studying for one does help with the other. However, even though I did it the other way, I recommend Net+ before Sec+. It builds some foundation that's useful, but Sec+ also automatically extends out or renews your Net+. Maybe not a big deal to a lot of people, but it's an added advantage of going in order.
    My ultimate goal is Security. I was only going for the Net+ because it was recommended for the Security+.

It seems like the best way to go is CCENT, Security+ then CCNA while working on expanding my Kali Linux knowledge for a few years while working on networks.

The CCENT is half the cost of the Net+ so I can essentially take two of them and spend the same amount of money as another Net+.

It's also more my style of learning as I can buy a homelab and setup/break networks for fun. I can also practice penetration testing and hardening.
    mgeoffriau wrote: »
    How long did you study for the exam?

2months
    Your new plan sounds pretty well thought out. The only thing I'd add is that you're saying CCENT is a cheaper alternative, but you're also saying you'll buy a home lab without considering its cost. Not saying it's a bad option, just suggesting you consider those costs as well.
  • ASamuelASamuel Banned Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you should try for courses for comptiA+. I personally find course by Skillsbuild Training useful
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Asamuel, am I seeing that right that the A+ learning material is only $1.00?
    I would look for reviews on that site. Never heard of it before.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I remember from the CompTIA days - it appeared that the questions were wrote by people who do not speak English as their native language. So it's difficult to grasp on what the question is actually asking.

Move on to CCENT. You'll be in a better place with that certification anyway. Net+ only gave me interest in networking, so naturally I moved to Cisco.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can't pass the Net+ I don't see how the CCENT will be any easier.
    Blucodex wrote: »
    If you can't pass the Net+ I don't see how the CCENT will be any easier.

Sounds like the new Net+ has lot of scenario based questions which are usually harder exams because it requires the test taker to interpret what they are asking for. Instead of other tests that have a lot of one liner questions. Damn Comptia for actually challenging people! icon_silent.gif
    Well... CompTIA now has a cert that's seen as essentially useless and all it does is give you basic knowledge. I could pass the Net+ and still not have a clue how to build a small LAN using a switch, router and a few host.

It only makes sense to skip it and go strait for CCENT.

I am now practicing a very simple LAN in Packet Tracer for 30 minutes everyday (same one). Then I spend about an hour in server with CBT Nuggets videos and a few times a week I go over the Net+ material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjfiQWg3Hes

Net+ is great info but I need a job and in order to get a job I have to apply that material meaning the CCENT will be on the table no matter what.
    Not to mention, if the Net+ is harder and cost more money but the CCENT has the same or better recognition. It makes going for the Net+ seem kind of like a waste. At least in terms of ROI of the cert itself.
    That's what I have been thinking.

Don't get me wrong I learned a lot studying for it so it did have a place.

I could take the CCENT twice for the same price and get better value out of it in my job search.