Options

Did CompTIA go overboard with the new difficulty?

Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
I took the version before the current version out now. It was the hardest test I have ever taken hands down, and I studied 2-3 hours a day every day for 4-5 months. I passed, but some people I work with need to pass it in order to keep their jobs. Seems like these guys have been studying like crazy for the past 6 months, and after multiple attempts, none of them have passed.

Just curious as to what the response has been to the current version. The version I took was the one where they first added simulations and apparently that made it much harder, so I cant imagine what else they could have done to make it harder than the one I took. Did CompTIA overdo it this time around?

Comments

• Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I thought Network+ was more complex than the SY0-401 exam. I passed Comptia's Security+ first time round with no prior security experience, apart from what little I came across through my Network+ studies.

The issue is not the exam getting harder, with each passing year technologies evolve and new technologies are introduced, including new attack vectors etc.

Therefore Comptia have to include the above within new exam versions to meet the needs of the industry and stay relevant.

As to why the individuals you know have failed multiple times it could be the resources they are using, so my advice would be to purchase Darril Gibson's book and online premium content which will prepare you for the simulation questions on the exam and to get the pass.
  • Options
    Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh that makes sense.

And yeah, these guys are using darrils book. at least one guy is anyway, he brought it in one day. perhaps they just arent studying as much as they lead on, or they simply arent retaining it.

personally, ive noticed that in school, i would half ass study at times and not remember any of it. i would skim through a book and not really pay attention because i was so bored.

when i studied sec+, i wrote down summaries of darills book which helped me retain all the info, so maybe they arent using a strategy like that to help retain the info.

but yeah, just curious. thanks
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I passed with just the Lynda.com videos. As has been mentioned before, it is not meant for people with no experience, and most of those having trouble seem to have no experience and think it will just be a cakewalk if they read some books, and then learn that it's not so. That's not Comptia's fault though. The objectives make it clear that these tests are designed for people with X amount of experience, so if you don't have that, you're going to have to work even harder.
  • Options
    CJANDMIACJANDMIA Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you pay for LYNDA.COM? I always here about this site, but I hoping it was free
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    I took A+ and Net+ easily within a month, so I'd have to disagree with the above statement. This test is harder and yes, for me it was the hardest test I have taken in a while possibly ever. But I think it was because the study materials do not totally set you up for success without knowing the information and how it relates to hypotheticals. I used the GCGA Premium Content and took a week long crash course, which the instructor advised us she took 401 after teaching 301 for a couple years and failed. Which I found crazy, but it happens I guess. There is a computer degree holding person at my job that has failed the test and she needs it to get into the building and work. As for me I took it over the holidays and passed it after studying for a couple months but only a few weeks seriously in order to keep my job also. It's a difficult test no doubt about it, but I think it's for my above stated reason.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CJANDMIA wrote: »
    Do you pay for LYNDA.COM? I always here about this site, but I hoping it was free

I had the free month at the time from Linkedin. I'm not sure what the current price is.
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ultm8mind wrote: »
    I took A+ and Net+ easily within a month, so I'd have to disagree with the above statement. This test is harder and yes, for me it was the hardest test I have taken in a while possibly ever. But I think it was because the study materials do not totally set you up for success without knowing the information and how it relates to hypotheticals. I used the GCGA Premium Content and took a week long crash course, which the instructor advised us she took 401 after teaching 301 for a couple years and failed. Which I found crazy, but it happens I guess. There is a computer degree holding person at my job that has failed the test and she needs it to get into the building and work. As for me I took it over the holidays and passed it after studying for a couple months but only a few weeks seriously in order to keep my job also. It's a difficult test no doubt about it, but I think it's for my above stated reason.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. Maybe I found N+ more difficult as it was my first cert without any prior experience.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No, I don't think CompTIA has gone overboard with the difficulty. A LOT of folks knock it for being too easy. I am glad they stepped it up. I struggled with Server+ in 2002, but I blame that on inexperience with servers though I thought I had enough experience with working with them back whenever it first came out. I eventually retested in 2015 and passed it. There are ppl with great testing skills and can pass any test, but some have to really study it for many months for it to soak in. (like me)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP