Passed Sec +... CEH/CASP/GIAC next?

Sec2017Sec2017 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. I passed the Security + yesterday at 767 of 750. Not bad for studying only 1.5 weeks. Its not a great score, but passing is passing! :)

I used the Darril Gibson study book and took notes on literally every subject. I also bought his full online study package. I listened to the audio files while driving or working out and rinse and repeated every practice exam he had until I had 98% on each one.

Professor Messer videos were great, but there were just way too many to watch.

I've been doing helpdesk and desktop support for the past 2 years with my Comptia A+ and I hate it, so a career change was needed asap. I was wondering what are real world jobs I could be looking at now, and what certs I should get to further my IT career? I was thinking CEH or CASP or GIAC.

I honestly have no idea what I want to do in the cyber security field. My guess is first get a cyber security job and see from there what interests me.

I will appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• Nana zakiNana zaki Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gifcongratulate for the pass and i wish for all
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    CEH > CISSP for most ROI, also more well known security certs to employers, however you will not learn a lot of hands on from these certs. Anything in GIAC is great however very expensive unless you can get your employer to pay for it.

You can start at a SOC job to get hands on experience. Then find a field of cybersecurity you wish to pursue.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd disagree & say CISSP is better for the resume, but you need solid experience to get the actual cert. Certs are great for resume boosting, but it sounds like you may need to work on your hands-on knowledge some. I'll self-promote my past post here to help you actually start learning some technical skills, plus it'll help you figure out what tools you like to use so you know where to focus future study/cert efforts

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/125638-free-security-tools-help-you-learn.html
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Congrats on the pass, keep us posted on your next venture.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!! :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • BogeyhunterBogeyhunter Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CEH if youre looking for Guvvy jobs. I agree with the other poster on CISSP being best ROI. Do you qualify? You need time in industry and need a person with the cert to vouche.
  • Sec2017Sec2017 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone. I do not have the experience to get the CCSP or CISSP. I know someone with a CISSP who could sponsor me so I may become an Associate of ISC2 if I pass the exam.

I just find it extremely hard to find a cyber security job without a Secret clearance around the DC area.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sec2017 wrote: »
    Professor Messer videos were great, but there were just way too many to watch.
    Better get over that idea pretty quick as most of the actual valuable certifications will take a lot longer than 1.5 weeks worth of studying.

If your employer will pay for it, go GIAC with the SANS training every time. You won't have the work experience to cover the self study requirement for CEH, and to be honest you probably need to build your foundation knowledge more...maybe try to get a network (CCNA) or an OS (MCSA:Server) certification. The idea is to minimize any backtracking when you get later in your career and if you don't have the OS / Networking knowledge, you will have to learn it and will be at a disadvantage on some concepts. Network+ might even be an ok option to round out your CompTIA trio.

Sec2017 wrote:
    Professor Messer videos were great, but there were just way too many to watch.Thank you everyone. I do not have the experience to get the CCSP or CISSP. I know someone with a CISSP who could sponsor me so I may become an Associate of ISC2 if I pass the exam.

I just find it extremely hard to find a cyber security job without a Secret clearance around the DC area.
    You don't have to have a sponsor to become an Associate of ISC2, however given your experience level you wouldn't be anywhere close to ready in a reasonable amount of study time. That's not to say people can't pass before they hit the experience requirement, but you haven't even been in InfoSec so I would put it on the back burner until you are around 3-4 years of relevant experience.

If you are in the DC area, look for jobs that say you can obtain a clearance because that means they will sponsor you. If you can get into one of those roles...regardless of if it is InfoSec, you will have more options. If you don't want to go that route, I would assume relocating out of DC to somewhere less reliant on the government contracts would be a better option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ditch the CASP!! I have rarely seen CASP as a requirement for any jobs. In all honesty if I had to start over again between CEH or GIAC, I would say GIAC if your employer is paying for it or if you have a lot of money saved up!! The quality of the material and GIAC is more widely known in the industry. That isn't to say that CEH isn't known either! If you are looking for a more cost effective route, I would say CEH provided you can get the 2 years of IT security experience. But do not do CASP whatever you do!!
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GIAC (GSEC) or CISSP..
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say GSEC, unless you have the years to backup the CISSP its not really worth it early on, you can't use the title you'd just be an Associate of ISC or something to that effect. You should focus on CEH or GSEC (CEH is easier IMO)
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • JYoung3408JYoung3408 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the DC area also and I'm your exact same position. I just passed the sec plus exam yesterday. So, naturally I'm looking for the next cert to obtain. But, right now I'm focusing on getting off the service desk and finding a job that will give me some experience and hopefully a clearance.
  • Sec2017Sec2017 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate all the replies everyone! I realized it's pretty hard to find a jr cyber sec position in the DMV without having a bachelors or a secret clearance. :/

I guess the best bet is to try to find a position that will eventually give clearance or go for the CEH. icon_sad.gif lol
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cdx wrote: »
    CEH > CISSP for most ROI, also more well known security certs to employers

LOL? icon_scratch.gif