Making technical documentation on the web readable again

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
So for some reason my GoogleFu has been way off recently and I've been searching the Chrome store for the wrong key terms. On some sites I just cannot stand the awful fonts/colors and contrasts in the text. Today I managed to find an Extension called Stylebot, it has allowed me to easily change elements on websites and have them stick across the domain. This has made reading websites like Cisco's online documentation go from an eye water experience to a pleasure.

I'm not sure why Cisco's Web Devs think that a light gray is best for web readability, but I'm surely not going to live with that. I'm not even going to talk about the text layout of their PDF's so this is the best comprimise.

Extension: https://goo.gl/yeqPY8

Before:

MYbKcAp.png

After:

muzEVrP.png

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's the same reason that Wells Fargo puts gold type on red credit cards or when over-the-counter medicine has light brown type over a grey background. They're in cahoots with the magnifying glass manufacturers. It's just bad design.
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    dontstop wrote: »
    ... On some sites I just cannot stand the awful fonts/colors and contrasts in the text. Today I managed to find an Extension called Stylebot, it has allowed me to easily change elements on websites and have them stick across the domain...
    I use something similar with Firefox. It's called "Aa: Dark Background and Light Text 0.5.9" by Mikhail Khvoinisky. It's kind of miss-named, because you can customise the appearance of a HTML page, to suit, by URL. I like it and would recommend it.
    No longer an active member