Please, I need an advice on a path to MCSE.

waltitiwaltiti Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I have MCSA server 2008, I can upgrade to MCSA 2016 directly with 70-743 or I need to go first to MCSA 70-417 to get server 2012. ???

My goal, for this 2017 year is upgrade to MCSE, so I need first upgrade upgrade to 2012 or 2016), and after that I need to do one of this ones ( probably 70-413):
1) Exam 70-413 Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure
2) Exam 70-414 Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure

Or any of this ones...

Exam 70-532 Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions
Exam 70-533 Implementing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions
Exam 70-534 Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions
Exam 70-246 Monitoring and Operating a Private Cloud
Exam 70-247 Configuring and Deploying a Private Cloud

What is the "EASY" & "CONVENINET $$$" PATH, for a father of 2 with not too much time in US IT market...

First, Go to 2016 or 2012 ???

Second, take 413 or any of the others exams listed ???

Please advice.
Thanks
Walt.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From their site it looks like you just need to take the 70-743. As far as next one, probably depends on what you're interested in and is most beneficial to what you do. What is easiest will be different for people depending on their background and interests.
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you have experience working with either 2012 or 2016, neither will be "easier" as you would be learning them from square one. A lot carries over from 2008, but a lot changed as well.

2012 will be in extended support until October 2023, so it has a good long life ahead of it. 2016 has some slick new features that some companies can't wait to get their hands on. If you aren't already aware, both make use of PowerShell extensively, more so in 2016.

My personal opinion is to go with what's current (2016) as it will provide a longer return on investment, unless there's an identified need to learn something different/older (2012) which would provide a higher return on investment. Do some job searches in your area to get an idea what version of WinServ companies are running and that may help you determine the best course.
  • waltitiwaltiti Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help guys,

I work for an IT company and there are customers with 2008, 2012 and 2016, ( and 2003 ) normally the 2016 companies are new companies, and believe it or no, in the last year where a lot of new companies. And to get a better position at my job is wait to one of the old big fishes dies ( just kidding they tech me a lot ) or get another job.

I take mostly 2008 and some 2012 jobs, but Im still learning 2012, I don't feel is complicated, I think is more easy my job than the cheating questions from microsoft that after a big complicated question the answer is something like "turn on the server.".

GSXR750K2 say "will have a long return of investment", and probably works the efforts.

Other thing is wait for 2016 R2, but I don't think that matters, no? on the certificates don't say R2, but with the date people could know if was R2 or no.

As for the next one to get the MCSE, I thinking in 70-413 Exam 70-413 Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure , but Im not sure if I take a different exam can open my opportunities, with cloud or azure, some people say Azure nooooo.

Thanks guys
    Walt
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There wasn't any distinction between 2012 and 2012 R2 on the certificates, so I doubt there will be between 2016 and any future releases of it. At the moment its a moot point worrying about the release...it's only been six months since 2016's RTM, so most likely you'll be looking at another 18 months at least before 2016 R2 shows its face.

In your case, 2016 sounds like a good route. A lot of it will carry back to 2012, and your new customers will be using 2016 and that will provide experience for when others migrate. I know of a couple of places around me that are still using some 2003 boxes as well. :)
  • waltitiwaltiti Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I'm planning to get the Server 2016 first, you right !!!! and after that not sure if take

* 70-473 Designing and implementing cloud data platform, or
    * 70-532 Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions

or keep the same track with ...

* 70-413 designing and implementing a server infrastructure, or
    * 70-744 Securing Windows Server 2016

to get the MCSE.

What you think GSXR750K2...?

Walt
  • jackfeetjackfeet Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat, currently studying towards to 70-743 to upgrade from 2008. There is a huge wealth of new technologies to get your head around and sometimes wonder whether it'd be easier to sit the 740, 741 and 742 separately. PowerShell seems to be prolific in every area which is a route MS seems to be heading down. Who'd have ever thought that MS would be pushing scripting over GUI, I guess though at least we won't be accused of being 'next, next, next, finish' sys admins for much longer...well we can hope. I've not even looked at the MCSE electives yet, I plan to do an elective each year to broaden my knowledge scope along with finally looking in to some Cisco certs as it's a bit of a weak spot.

In terms of 2016 materials, I don't believe CBT nuggets has any yet (last time I checked), itpro.tv is really lacking - 70-740 and 70-741 half finished and no 70-742 materials. (however their practice labs are good). Also the 70-743 upgrade book is not that much use (the green one, not sure of the author sorry) So I have bought the three exam study books separately and am working through those. AMD4EVER put some good links to resources that are worth checking out too in a thread on this section.

Good luck with the study, From studying towards 2016 you'll inadvertently learn elements of 2012 also as differences between 2012 and 2016 come up as study points.

Mods, I know it's only my second post here so a bit early to be making demands but what are the chances of getting a 2016 forum section?