Practice Vs Real Exam

kye.daveykye.davey Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Have found a few different opinions going through the threads on this site and others. Just want some more thoughts on how closely the difficulty of the GIAC practice exams have matched the real exams in your experience.

I am currently studying for the GSEC exam (I attended the SEC401 training in person) and worked through the first practice test yesterday. I finished the practice test with a score of 92% and I am currently working on the areas in which I scored lower. I am confident that I can pass the real exam however I am aiming to pass with a score above 90%. I have not set an exam date yet but most likely will be in 4 to 6 weeks time.

Also are there any additional materials you would recommend to someone to supplement there studies, I have seen Eric Cole's book on networking recommended a few times.

Appreciate any thoughts,
Kye

Comments

• yomistayomista Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed GCED back in January and I am confident enough to say that a good understanding of the topics, solid index and the SANS book are all you need to pass the exam.

Good luck.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A 92% on the Practice exam is more than enough to pass the exam, unless your aiming for a 100%, there really nothing to be gained with more studying / index improving. Schedule the test now.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took my first practice test without using any of the books or index, just to give me an idea of where my knowledge was. Blazed through it in about an hour and got a 74 or something, passed at least. Took the second practice test as if it was the real deal and got an 82. I felt pretty confident going into the exam. Then when I sat for the exam, I was positive I was failing it. It felt so much harder than my practice tests... About halfway through, I had already been planning on the retake. Ended up passing with a 92, but I definitely could have been better about preparing!