Taking the Net+ exam tomorrow on 4/15 (3rd attempt)

PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
I took the test in December and got a 650. Took it again in February and got 685. Since I'm paying for this completely out of pocket (every test), failing has been rough, but I'm going to try it one last time. This is what I've been using to prepare: Beyond that I've created virtual labs w/ VirtualBox to try to practice some of the command prompts, Wireshark, and a few other things. For an entry level cert, this test has been a lot harder than I thought, but since I've put so much time into it I really don't want to just give up so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Are there any otherresources you recommend for me to study or review before my exam tomorrow?
Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best of luck! I hope to see a PASSED post when I check tomorrow (what time is your test?)

I haven't taken the current version of this exam, but I've heard the horror stories. From what I see, you are using a lot of good materials. If your test is tomorrow, I wouldn't bother looking at additional materials, as you already listed a lot. Since you took the exam twice already, you should have an idea about which areas you were weak. During the exams, were there groups of similar questions that you had little or no idea what they were asking?

If I were you, I would focus on practice exams. Try to take as many questions as you can, and when you get them right or wrong, try to understand exactly WHY you were right or wrong. That's the best you could do with one day left, IMO.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The test would be at 1:30 ET my time so I have about 24 hours before I take the test. I remember some of the VPN protocols and command line tools I got wrong. There was at least 1 port number that's not included in the Comptia Objectives (link) that I got wrong.

I think my biggest problem though was overthinking the questions. I would spent so time second guessing myself that I probably talked myself into choosing a different answer than what I originally would've chose (and the original was probably the right answer). Some of the questions are really long too so I find myself always feeling like I'm taking too much time to answer the question and rushing myself.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When I took my Net+ I really went with just my gut instincts. I learned that with my A+, there aren't really many ways they wanna screw with you.(microsoft)

Good luck!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Be sure you know your subnetting too!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    I've found that with the CompTIA exams I've taken, it's VERY important that you understand EXACTLY what the question is asking. I read very quickly, and the way they word things can be misleading. I usually read their questions 2 or 3 times slowly just so I know if they are trying to trick me or not. Once I know exactly what they are asking, the correct answer usually reveals itself to me.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Didn't answer a single subnet question.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took the test for the 3rd time and..... I passed.

This test was different that the other two I took. This one actually felt a little harder. I finished with 14 minutes left. It's bitter sweet because yes I finally passed, but I've been studying and attempting to pass for 6 months and even with all of that I barely passed this time. I'm not a perfectionist, but I was hoping I'd do a lot better. I take these certs not only for the resume, but to verify to myself that I understand the material and that I'm actually learning it. That feeling that I'm accomplishing something and moving forward with my life.

It's all done though. I passed. That's what matters I guess. It's a HUGE weight off my shoulders. I may take a small break from Comptia and do ITIL next or maybe I'll just move into Security + (Both the ITIL book by Claire Agutter and the Security + book by Derril Gibson should arrive in the mail today so I'll probably look over both and decide what to do from there).
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey well done on the pass
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm a huge perfectionist myself too, but I've come to the conclusion that I just can't have the same standard (as I did in school) for these certs. The important thing is passing and just getting that cert! Of what I've been seeing, it seems like this cert is particularly difficult so be proud you were even able to pass. That says a lot about the amount you were able to retain.

And most of all............. Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    I'm glad I got done with moving boxes all day from 200 miles away to see your PASSED post before I crash! Congratulations!

As far as wanting to have a higher score, as they say in the field "a pass is a pass". If you want to understand the concepts more, just never stop learning. As you go tougher with the exams, and you encounter situations at your jobs, it will all make more sense. Every time you get further with your understanding, as well as passing certification exams, your self esteem will climb, and eventually you will become the expert you want to be.

Again, congrats, and GOOD NIGHT! :D
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Both for the pass and for the determination to succeed. That is a compelling story that, frankly, some employers will be happy to hear.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats getting ready to take it again in 4 weeks. It is not an easy test as others would suggest.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Congrats! Both for the pass and for the determination to succeed. That is a compelling story that, frankly, some employers will be happy to hear.

That is true. I've known more than a couple people who would take an exam once, maybe twice, then hang it up. There is something to be said for that determination, and moving forward in spite of the set backs.

Congrats!